Found in the woods...free to haul off.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a boat that looks like it has been abandoned. Don't know if its worth pulling out or not as of yet. If motor/drive unit is decent, I'll put it in a different boat. Last registration sticker on it is dated 2007. Has a Volvo 431 motor and out drive in it. From the pics my gf took of it, looks like all covers and fill plugs seem to be on it. There are a lot of unknowns, I realize this. If the block is cracked from not being winterized properly, what are the typical crack locations? Since this is a 4.3L motor, what size would the crank pulley bolt be? If I can't get it to turn over, I'll walk on by. I don't know what year it or the boat is. I'm going to look at it in depth this weekend. Thanks for the help and the info.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Someone owns this boat and it's not you. Be careful.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
No kidding? Thanks Mr. Obvious.

I came here for a bit of insight to what I don't know not for reiteration of what I already know.

GA_Boater

No kidding? Thanks Mr. Obvious.

I came here for a bit of insight to what I don't know not for reiteration of what I already know.

We're reading your words and we can only assume you plan on dragging it off to make it your own. All you talked about was the condition, nothing about the legality.

Is the boat for sale or just sitting in the woods?

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just sitting in the woods. Been there for several years. Has quite a few 1 1/2" saplings grown up around it. Already been in contact with the DMV and have a last known city for the registration. It's about 50 miles away. Nothing flagged at the dmv for it being stolen. It's pretty much a turd, I'm sure all the wood in it is mushy.

GA_Boater

Contact the landowner, it may be "stored" and forgotten.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Yea, not seeing it as "stored" and forgotten.

Attachments

• photo281052.jpg
    photo281052.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bases on the pix, good luck finding anything worth salvaging....

Be sure you know how to dispose of the hull and debris if you decide to drag it off.......

IMO, its a pay you several hundred to haul it off, depending on difficulty dragging it out of the woods, they should pay you more then 500 to haul it off...

Free is often worth what you paid, sometimes less....... esp w derelict, long neglected, debris filled boats

Seems a lot of work w lots of downside for a minimal chance of salvaging a motor/outdrive....

Good luck...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Looks to be close to a road, about all I can think of is to haul it on a flatbed, gut it, clean it up as best ya can, sink it in the yard, up to the waterline, and make a playhouse for the kids.

Jeff Fro

Petty Officer 1st Class
So....anyone have the answers to the engine questions I asked? Seems that this was moved from the "Volvo" section to "not engine topics" by a moderator that didn't read the original post.

If the block is cracked from not being winterized properly, what are the typical crack locations? Since this is a 4.3L motor, what size would the crank pulley bolt be?

briangcc

Commander
As you don't legally own the boat yet, tread very carefully as to what you do and what you touch. Around here, ignoring that is likely to get you shot at. You've gotten some fairly good advice already - talk with the land owner to make sure you're not trespassing.

As for the potential for cracks....the answer is anywhere water could have sat and froze. This could be anywhere in the block, water pump, exhaust risers or outdrive. Based on the pics, I'd be shocked if it wasn't all of the above. And I'd think you may be looking at water in the oil pan as well which very well may have seized the engine.

As for the size of the bolt...I honestly have no idea and legally even if I did I don't want any advice I may give coming back on me or my family should you run afoul of the law using that info. Just keeping it honest as brutal as that may be.

Personally...I'd stay clear of this one. If you're looking for a project, pick something up on Craigslist that has a title and clear chain of ownership.

GA_Boater

So....anyone have the answers to the engine questions I asked? Seems that this was moved from the "Volvo" section to "not engine topics" by a moderator that didn't read the original post.

If the block is cracked from not being winterized properly, what are the typical crack locations? Since this is a 4.3L motor, what size would the crank pulley bolt be?

It was moved by me from the V-P section because this isn't about the motor. You are asking us to help take you possession of something that isn't yours, unless the owner is offering the boat to you, which you haven't answered. There is a name for that.

Yea, not seeing it as "stored" and forgotten.

You are making too many assumptions.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Typical crack location is the side of the block just below the cylinder deck. But it?s not limited to that. They?re known to crack internally as well.

That engine is a 4.3 from the early 90s. It hasn?t run in 10 years. It likely found its way to its present late cation because of a significant mechanical issue, and the owner lost interest.

There?s virtually nothing here to salvage. The hull is ready for the shredder and the engine is probably worth its weight in scrap (about $25).

You don?t own it. Unless you?re a hoarder or a hopeless dreamer, I can?t see why you?d have an interest in it. You?ll spend more money to haul it out than you can hope to get for scrap.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All the above said is good advice...pretty sure GA the moderator isn?t trying to be nasty...just giving good advice based on your post.
It isn?t your boat at the end of the day...plenty of boats with 1990?s reg stickers on them in my boat yard...doesn?t mean I can just go and claim them.
Anyways...by the sounds of it, it?s not worth the effort and potential trouble you might get yourself into otherwise !
Take heid of good advice given.

GA_Boater

I'm not being nasty, just realistic. You can't go picking up and claiming property you decide is abandoned.

Let's also assume this boat is sitting on private property. You can't start checking the motor or even venture on to the land. Some people are very protective and assert their rights.

The fact that the boat was last registered in 2007 and the registered owner is 50 miles away means absolutely nothing. I've stored stuff at relatives and moved over a thousand miles away while the stuff sat there for years. It wasn't and isn't abandoned.

Now if the OP has been offered the boat and the person offering can show ownership, then it's fair to look it over, but not until then.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i've seen many boats just like this on folks property that they wouldn't get rid of because it was a future project.... so yeah stay away unless you were told you can have it or deal with the repercussions.
the motor most likely wont turn because as long as it has been sitting condensation has formed rust on cylinders, you would need to rebuild most likely cause breaking pistons free would most likely break rings or ring landings... move on mate find something better to play with.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I want to make 2 points.First looking at the pic of that pile of garbage boat I can say with 99% certainty there is nothing salvageable especially
any part of the engine. It is deteriorated junk. Second and the most important is he has no right to even touch that boat or even set foot on that property. The idea that he
can haul that boat out of there or take parts from it is plain and simple theft. Until he contacts the owner and gets permission the only thing he can
do is look at it.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Usually a 9/16? is the block drain plug pull them and see if theres water in them. If theres water in it you could expect the waters frozen over the winter and your probably done. If its bone dry you still have no answers. The easiest way to turn it over would be with a chain wrench on one of the pullies cut the belts off toss a chain wrench on it and turn it clockwise. Feeling for rings rusted into the bores when you first get it to spin. Ive seen more than a couple 4.3 split on the inside about 2 ?s below the deck. Me id try and find someone who knows something about it most likely they want it gone anyway might tell you enough half truths to help you make up your mind.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
bolt should be 7/16 x 20
Not sure why that is important, seems to be the last thing that would need replacing or worrying about.

lol