Need cover help. Mine keeps failing and I have questions!

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

I could really use some help with boat covers. I really think I'm doing something wrong. I keep buying boat covers, but they fail every single rainstorm. If there's anywhere that the water can accumulate, it will and it drags the whole cover down with it.

For a while, I was buying those like nylon covers, but one storm and they'd accumulate water and rip. It's so annoying?I used support poles, but every time, there's just enough of a pouch where water can collect to just even like the size of a grapefruit or something and then just keeps building up until it rips the cover or pulls the support poles down. I started using like 3 tarps and a cloth cover, but those are starting to rip now after 2 storms. So I have three questions.

One, what am I doing wrong? I assumed that 2-3 support poles would be enough to stop any pouches, or I figured that a few pockets of water wouldn't be the end of the world, but clearly I was wrong. Is there some trick that I'm not aware of? My boat is in a yard, and none of the other boats seem to have the issues that I have.

Two, this is like the 4rd rainstorm this year where my cover has failed. It's an old Starcraft 22 aluminum, but it has carpeted floors over wood. Usually what happens is that the cover holds up for a while and then just suddenly fails and dumps all that water right onto the deck. This has happened probably 3-4 times this year.... is my floor screwed? I feel like that can't be good for it, but I also wonder if boat floors are tough enough to withstand this kind of thing occasionally. Just wondering if I should be panicking and planning to rebuild my floor at this point, or if I'm more in the place of "figure out how to really cover that boat ASAP, and don't let it happen again".

Any advice/thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
thank you bruce. Two questions: One, how long do those take to get made? I'm worried because it's raining every day almost. Will my boat/floor be fine until I get a cover, when it's being rained on every day?

And two, your comment suggests that my problem is mostly material. But I see other people in my same boat yard with cheapo walmart tarp covers, and they don't seem to be having the same issues I'm having, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. Will a new cover fix things, or is there something else I need to do so I don't buy a new sunbrella custom cover and then immediately ruin it?

thanks!

Crazy_Pilot

Cadet
How flat is the slope of your cover, and how taught it is when the poles are up? Any cover that approaches flat when installed will sag with water on it and turn into a bowl. Even the cover on my cousin’s $100K Malibu has this problem (although that may involve some user error - more money than sense in that one). You might be able to add a helper pole in the problem spot, or push the existing one up higher. Tarps aren’t great boat covers – since they generally aren’t secured to the perimeter of the boat then tend to be pulled in with the water weight.

Water in the boat isn’t a good thing. Obviously it can stand up to some (skiiers and swimmers getting back in after a dip), but the more often the wood is exposed to water the more likely it is to start rotting. If you can get it dried out in short order you won’t do any harm, but if the water remains in contact with any exposed wood it’ll start wicking in and softening the wood.

If you could post a few pictures of your setup it would help people understand what’s happening and maybe offer more accurate advice.

briangcc

Commander
Ask is my best advice on the timeline for a custom cover. Some marinas have onsite canvas while others contract out to mobile canvas shops. They should be able to ball park a timeline from start to finish.

On my Bayliner I installed sockets and custom length slats to hold the cover up and avoid ponding. On my Four Winns, I ended up making a custom support system out of 2x4's (overkill) and nylon strapping w/snaps that attached to points on the boat. I've yet to have issues on the Chap but I've been keeping the shipping cover on it as opposed to the snap on covers - I support it underneath with various poles.

I think it's going to boil down to figuring out a custom support system for your particular setup that works for your cover. Once you have that in place you should be good.

Good luck!!

southkogs

Staff member
What kinda' boat? Have pictures of how you've been setting your cover up?

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
If your going to use anything but a custom cover you need to have plenty of slope as previously mentioned. Also, and equally important is you must have MULTIPLE points to tie down the cover to the boat or trailer, and the cover needs to be short of drum tight.
Also, understand that any nylon cover will stretch when it gets wet.

Years ago I purchased a cheap cover meant to be short term. It was made out of the token tarp material but it was sewn into the shape of a boat. I used that thing for years as an emergency cover. Got it from Cabelas but I can't find it there anymore.

Sunbrella fabric will work, but if you want a cover/fabric that has a little backbone, if you will, to it, look for a cover maker that uses Top Notch fabric. The previous version was called Top Gun, and I'm here to tell you that stuff was indestructible. The Top Notch is very good though. Super tough, no stretch, no mold or mildew.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Problem with Top Gun is that it doesn't breathe so you are going to have to have vents put in. Sounds like you are in a wet area so that should be a consideration. I sew my own boat covers and I prefer Sunbrella. A good cover maker should be able to make it in a day. Also, if you use Top Gun, expect a lot of wrinkles along the seams. It is not a super friendly material to sew. If that doesn't matter to you, then it isn't an issue.

Top Gun is still a product. Top Notch is more like Sunbrella in that it isn't coated so it would be a better pick than Top Gun.

http://www.topvaluefabrics.com/Marine-Fabrics.dept

Last edited:

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
The last two cover I had were Top Gun, I wanted my new cover to be Top Gun as well but my cover maker said about 5 years ( about the time I had my last cover made) ago they changed something and the coating comes off. He highly recommended the Top Notch so I went with the Top Notch. That and he can fabric weld the seams. I like it but it gets dirty and "holds" the dirt if you will. Seems like dirt and grime almost wiped off the Top Gun fabric.
That's neither hear nor there at this point, I just need to make sure my hands are clean when snapping the cover and find a gentle detergent to clean dirty spots.
The cover maker recommended bleach, , , that just doesn't seem right to me.

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like your boat cover may be acting more like a 'flat roof' and not enough like a 'pitched roof'. Whatever you do next, make sure it is like a pitched roof so that it shed water and does not collect it anywhere.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I put mine on with the bimini up and I have a pole in the open bow as well. I use my cover then a tarp. Snug that sucker right down,not tight enough to rip the eyes out just short of that. The snow slides off when in warms up a bit,but I will broom a big snow load from it.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Can you post pictures of your boat with and without the cover in case it helps some of us throw advice on how to support your cover regardless of what type of cover be it a tarp a generic one size fits all cover or a custom made cover. Big spans with little slope need more support. Any number of posts may not help if the area is to large and not steep enough. If you can make a wood structure or framework that gives more pitch and support the better chance of success.

if you google a hip roof this is a simple way to make a support system that is simple cheap and effective. Pick the best 2x4s you can find no knots bigger than a dime smooth straight finish with no cracks or splits. Pre drill any screw holes so the wood does not split. I usually get 5 or more years out of a support system and we get some hefty wet snow. Last year was a good example. the support system needs to be light enough that one person can install it. Or at least one person can pick it up and hand it to someone in the boat. To hefty of a structure and youll hate covering your boat. But its still got to be strong enough for your weather.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
2 things I do I don't see done regularly on my Sunbrella mooring cover that is 23 years old now.

To keep it down tight I fill 6 Javex type bottles with water and hang 3 on each side with "S" hooks and a piece of cording off the grommets after I set the poles in. I do this when it is in a slip overnight too no matter what the weather man says.

I made up a base for the support poles by using Closet Flanges and inserting a length of 2" ABS pipe and put the poles in the pipe. They are less likely to fall over in the wind.

A few questions. Are there grommets on the top of your cover where the poles can fit into? If not I bet the poles are falling over thus making a pool for water to fill.
Is your cover wet on the underside after it rains? It should be dry.

You are buying those Wallmart covers that aren't the best but should last a year or 2 anyway. I wouldn't think your floor is rotten after a few rains on it. Does it feel mushy or soft when you stand on it? Leave the plug in the next time it rains and pull it after the rain stops, any water in the bilge? If you do you may have a problem.The best thing you can do is when it isn't raining let the sun dry it out and or give it a good wet vac. I have a 19' StarCraft that has gotten wet more than a few times, it's a boat, and just let it dry out. It has rained here this past spring and summer like never before. I did get some pooling to. When it happens I carefully lift the cover so it pours to the side or to the back of the boat to the transom well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is a cover I made for my pontoon boat. I use the boat vent pole holders.

https://www.amazon.com/Vico-Marine-Support-Pole-Boat/dp/B010E7GL9C

IMG_1492.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTW, if you go the way of the grommet in the cover with the end of the pole sticking through(Not recommended), make sure you reinforce the hell out of it. There is a lot of pressure on one single point. Even with the boat vent that I just posted, you want to reinforce that area first.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
BTW, if you go the way of the grommet in the cover with the end of the pole sticking through(Not recommended), make sure you reinforce the hell out of it. There is a lot of pressure on one single point. Even with the boat vent that I just posted, you want to reinforce that area first.

I have that Bruce, for sure water will get past the grommets. I found some large rubber washers and put them on the end of the poles under the grommets and Gorilla glued them in place. It helps I'm sure. OP is MIA. Very, very nice clean work by the way. Do you deliver?