Fuel Crystals

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I listened to the track "Imperfection" good stuff. Could have done without the 3 minute piano intro though. Not a single boat in the thing. OK enough hi-jacking for 1 night,

I think they recorded the piano intro on boat. Maybe?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am wrong, electrolysis is the culprit. Good call.
You're right-- and wrong :) Our SkipperLiner is a poster boat for all types of boat corrosion, I've learned about this stuff the hard way. My bet is our OP is suffering from galvanic corrosion...

below is copied from:
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/AC%20...ectrolysis.htm
by Wallace Gouk, and it's a very good, simple explanation of electrolysis, galvanic corrosion and stray current corrosion.

AC DC ELECTROLYSIS MYTHOLOGY

ELECTROLYSIS : Chemical changes in a solution or electrolyte due to the passage of electric current. As a Certified Corrosion Analyst I'd like to clear up the "ELECTROLYSIS", issue. This term is frequently misused due to lack of understanding of the processes involved in corrosion.

ELECTROLYSIS is actually the opposite action to galvanic corrosion so the distinction is NOT trivial semantics as some people suggest.

ELECTROLYSIS is the forced introduction of an electrical current in an electrolyte (water) to cause a chemical reaction to separate the components of the water. This process produces Hydrogen and Oxygen.

GALVANIC CORROSION on the other hand is an electrochemical reaction that causes electrons to flow from one metal to another metal. One of the metals is the anode and the other is the cathode. If you put the two in an electrolyte that conducts current, and connect them with a wire, they act pretty much the same way a battery does. A current flows between the two metals. The electrons from one are "sacrificed" and plated (somewhat) onto the other metal. This happens when you have dissimilar metals such as aluminum and bronze close to each other and in "electrical" contact. The aluminum disappears.

STRAY CURRENT CORROSION is simply corrosion caused by stray (leaking) current from a bilge
pump or a battery charger among other things.

There are many more types of corrosion however, the two main issues on boats involving electricity are either GALVANIC CORROSION or STRAY CURRENT CORROSION.

Punch line ........ Do not take advice from or hire a marine electrician who uses the term electrolysis.

-- no offense intended! :)

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Punch line ........ Do not take advice from or hire a marine electrician who uses the term electrolysis.[/I]

Interesting statement. This is exactly one of several reasons I never went back to a particular Yamaha dealer. They were looking at a problem on my pwc and criticized me for having a "Non Yamaha" brand oil filter, then complained about some corrosion on the ski ( I run in the Chesapeake Bay, brackish water), but used the term "Rust".

I just felt that a factory trained mechanic working at a dealership that scolds me for not using the company brand filter, should be "educated" enough to be use the correct terminology.