Fuel Crystals

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not a Volvo issue, but didn't see a better place to post. Suggestions?

Included is a picture of my fuel tank pickup line and sending unit.
I cleaned this area in the spring.

The fuel line and anti-siphon elbow are new.
The sending unit gasket is new.

A lot of crystals have formed around both the elbow and sending unit.

Is this something to be worried about?

Attachments

• photo281000.png
    photo281000.png
    673 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved into Boat Topics since it really isn't a V-P question.

Do you boat in salt water? Is the under deck tank area dry?

I think that may be corrosion from moisture. <-- A guess.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If I found that on a basement wall it is called effervescence, when water is broken down to lime when in concrete contact but isn't in a basement. My guess is the same as Ga Boater, I would say it is lime. You will find the same in the bottom of hot water heaters that have never been flushed clean and in and on shallow well pumps with a small leak.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I found that on a basement wall it is called effervescence, when water is broken down to lime when in concrete contact but isn't in a basement. My guess is the same as Ga Boater, I would say it is lime. You will find the same in the bottom of hot water heaters that have never been flushed clean and in and on shallow well pumps with a small leak.

Not to be too nit-picky but "efflorescence" is the actual word for salt, lime, and other minerals bleeding to the surface of concrete and masonry. "Effervescence" is the fizz from your Coca Cola.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is that your in a salt air environment

my suggestion, clean the area, hit it with clear electrical varnish to prevent the corrosion

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my guess is that your in a salt air environment

Well, does the Chesapeake Bay count? ;)

my suggestion, clean the area, hit it with clear electrical varnish to prevent the corrosion

Thanks for the tip, will do. Never heard of E V. I see that MSC has some... https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/84253244?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Janitorial+%26+Facility+Maintenance+-+PLA_stEw7PYVW___164110844085_c_S&mkwid=stEw7PYVW|dc&pcrid=164110844085&rd=k&product_id=84253244&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuiCZafiIRqFA7p8yv7IhYNDjdTnJwEWuq3Xe7NnTyTQCifZp1pRRAaAl98EALw_wcB

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Been there, done that......Aluminum oxide from the aluminum fitting (anti-siphon valve) screwed into the steel tank fitting. Add (salt) moisture and a bit of stray current from the sending unit and you end up with "crystals".

Change the fitting (anti-siphon valve) over to brass and the problem goes away

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ohh, like that! :)
I was having fuel delivery issues and decided to scrape everything and start over. Brass anti-siphon valves where expensive so I went with aluminum instead.
Six month later i popped the deck plate to inspect and found the mess. Took out the anti-siphon and thru it as far as I could.

Anti-siphons are only required when the supply is higher than the motor. I simply replaced the anti-siphon with a brass hose barb and called it good.

One other thing, make sure the connections are not leaking /weeping fuel. Some fuel tanks have some sort of a varnish like coating on top. I?ve seen fuel cause the coating to craze and come off in a similar manner

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the tip, will do. Never heard of E V. I see that MSC has some...

get the green (for marine). I have been using the clear and green for years. MSC, Granger, McMaster Carr and my local alternator shop all carry it

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One other thing, make sure the connections are not leaking /weeping fuel.

The anti siphon connection is new, hose is new. The sending unit gasket is new, I only worry about fuel seeping out from the sending unit as things slosh around.

Some fuel tanks have some sort of a varnish like coating on top. I&#146;ve seen fuel cause the coating to craze and come off in a similar manner

I have not seen anything like that on the tank.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Curious - Any crystals on fitting at the other end of the tank? Cant' tell in your demo pics.

crystals.PNG

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Curious - Any crystals on fitting at the other end of the tank? Cant' tell in your demo pics.

No. The part of the pic you highlighted there is the vent line. The other end goes to a port on the transom, out to fresh air.

The connection of two inch fuel line at the tank in the first pick is clean.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Not to be too nit-picky but "efflorescence" is the actual word for salt, lime, and other minerals bleeding to the surface of concrete and masonry. "Effervescence" is the fizz from your Coca Cola.

Not too nit picky, just a bit nit picky. Auto correct spelled it I believe. I need more effervescence in my Beer.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I listened to the track "Imperfection" good stuff. Could have done without the 3 minute piano intro though. Not a single boat in the thing. OK enough hi-jacking for 1 night,