Rearview mirror suggestions

motoman701

Cadet
Currently winter here so no rush. Next year will be my first year towing a tuber or skiier with my boat and I'm looking for a rearview mirror suggestion. Convex? Size? Don't really want suction cup mount, and I'm a tall guy so I probably have to mount it above the windshield and so I'd preferably have one that can come off easily (spring clamp style?) for putting on my cover. I can take a stab myself but I'd like some experienced input. Thanks!

motoman701

Cadet
you realize a spotter is legally required when towing people on a tube or on skis

as for a towing mirror, iboats sells them (they clamp to the windshield frame)

http://www.iboats.com/Ski-Mirror-At...667786--**********.075138043--view_id.1183317

I myself dont like a mirror and rely on my spotter

I did know that about a spotter and that will be adhered to. I just like the idea of a mirror as a backup, and it could also be useful for more than just towing

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I did know that about a spotter and that will be adhered to. I just like the idea of a mirror as a backup, and it could also be useful for more than just towing

Yeah they do create a big blind spot.

southkogs

Staff member
Legally I have to have both the spotter and the mirror in TN ... spotter works better, but I've got both. I think I've got the exact mirror Scott linked you to.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I had one of those mirrors (came with my boat when I bought it). I found it to be less than useful and actually distracting. It spent a couple of years relegated to the glove box and now it's on a shelf in the garage...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the 70s one of my dads boats had a convex mirror, supposedly for skiing. It hit the dumpster about a month after the boat was launched

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My spotter takes care of my my skiier. My rear view mirror takes care of everything else when I'm not towing. I wouldn't own a boat that didn't have a mirror. When I'm in my tiller tinny I'm always looking up at the sky, and then realizing I don't have a windshield.....LOL.

Google Cipa home page. They have actual safety glass mirrors, though they are a bit large for some applications. Most small mirrors today are polished SS, which is only second best. Attwood would be my second choice.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Large size and convex is nice to have. Mine attaches to the top of my windscreen with a screw clamp. I find it very nice to have. It creates no blind spot forward for me and makes checking behind much simpler. You still need to look past your shoulders but you have more visibility all the time.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't have one but a pal does. Not for skiing but for longline trolling. Not all first mates can tell when a fish hits the down rigger or a Dipsy Diver. I have wanted and should get one as my neck gets sore turning around constantly checking lines and my wake to check direction.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Legally I have to have both the spotter and the mirror in TN ... spotter works better, but I've got both. I think I've got the exact mirror Scott linked you to.

There are quite a few states that don't require a spotter, and I'm pretty sure TN is one of them. Mirror or spotter required, not both.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/boating-regulations
"Vessels towing skiers must be equipped with a 170 degree, wide-angle rearview mirror or have on board a person 12 years or older, other than the operator to observe the progress of the skier."

(I'm trying to get my state to adopt similar language, so I've done a little research on which states allow it)

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ LOL ... I've been reading the stupid thing wrong for at least 6 years! The handbook that I have from back in 2011 matches the link you have there - :facepalm: - The word "either" appears on a line just above the bullet points and there is no word "or." So, I've just been assuming for years that I needed to fulfill both bullets.

That's awesome, 'cuz I hate where I have to hang that mirror! :D Thanks!

jkust

Rear Admiral
My state, I believe allows a rear view mirror in lieu of a spotter on a boat....can't recall if that's the same with a PWC. My previous but newer had a nice large, convex rear view mirror but you would sort of clamp it down on the center pass through window and it make some permanent marks on the frame which I really didn't like. It has some padding material but still made marks.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Do you need a mirror or spotter if you are ghost surfing?

oldjeep

Admiral
Cipo for a cheap mirror, ptm for a really good one. The both have a few varieties.