anyone used T&H mini Jacker Jack plate for kicker motor?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
anyone used T&H mini Jacker Jack plate for kicker motor? MJ1DP

debating whether to get the TH mini jacker or Panther 55-0407 or Garelick 71090 - the latter 2 are for 4 stroke motor. I have a Honda 8 hp 4 stroke about 85 pounds. I know the latter 2 will do the job, just not sure if the mini jacker will work too.

my boat is 1974 wellcraft airs lot 165 sport (17 feet long) with Johnson 90 v4, so the kicker motor will be mounted in the swim ladder position to the left of the boat

mini jacker is the least expensive

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Mini jacker is the strongest, most stable, will handle up to 35 or 40 hp, so it will handle your kicker.

But is fixed, and 17" wide, will that work for you?

I have had the garelick, and a fixed like the mini, much prefer the stability of the mini jacker.
It works for me as I can still tilt the kicker, so no need to raise and lower it.

Also, if you read the user manual for the adjustable type, they usually say the motor must be removed when trailering, so thats a real negative in my opinion.

This is from the Panther manual:

Adjustable Auxiliary Outboard Motor Bracket mounting and operating instructions
for the following products only:

55-0407AL, 55-0410, 55-0416

AUXILIARY OUTBOARD MOTOR BRACKET CAUTION GUIDELINES
1. Always remove your motor from bracket when trailer- ing. Failure to do so may result in damage to boat, motor, or bracket.

From the garelick manual:

1. Always remove your motor from the bracket when trailering. Failure to do so could result in damage to boat, motor and bracket.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Over the years I have had several adjustable brackets and all were trashed after the second outing. Except one - my OMC bracket, which unfortunately hasn't been manufactured in 20 years.

The OMC has a gas cylinder, not the crummy springs. After 34 years it still works perfect, it's easy to operate (even with my sore back), and the motor has been mounted on it all this time with no damage. Its rock steady.

Of all the adjustable brackets on the market today that I have personally seen, I would only consider a Garelick, but even they do bounce a bit. I have no experience with a Mini Jacker.

This year I bought a Garelick fixed mount for my Whaler. Those instructions ALSO say do not drive on the highway with the motor attached. I called the factory and complained / commented and the CS rep said they won't warrant damage due to highway travel. Well, it has 1 season on it now with the motor mounted 100%. So far, so good.

I did locate a fixed mount bracket designed specifically for my boat model. It was guaranteed, yada, yada, but they wanted $500 for it. No sale.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Mini jacker is the strongest, most stable, will handle up to 35 or 40 hp, so it will handle your kicker.

But is fixed, and 17" wide, will that work for you?

I have had the garelick, and a fixed like the mini, much prefer the stability of the mini jacker.
It works for me as I can still tilt the kicker, so no need to raise and lower it.

Also, if you read the user manual for the adjustable type, they usually say the motor must be removed when trailering, so thats a real negative in my opinion.

This is from the Panther manual:

Adjustable Auxiliary Outboard Motor Bracket mounting and operating instructions
for the following products only:

55-0407AL, 55-0410, 55-0416

AUXILIARY OUTBOARD MOTOR BRACKET CAUTION GUIDELINES
1. Always remove your motor from bracket when trailer- ing. Failure to do so may result in damage to boat, motor, or bracket.

From the garelick manual:
  1. Always remove your motor from the bracket when trailering. Failure to do so could result in damage to boat, motor and bracket.

I think 17" wide will work, but my Honda 8 hp long shaft is a pull start. I hope the pull is almost horizontal to the motor otherwise the rope will be worn out faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
So, I bought and mounted a used Garelick model #71090 4 stroke bracket mount without screws and nuts. It was not an easy job to mount it. It is super heavy and impossible for ONE person to do it along. I had to use my electric power winch T1650 and mount it. I wish I knew the trick to do it before I did it.

My tip for mounting is:
(1) mark 4 holes and use small drill bits to drill pilot holes and followed by bigger 5/16" drill bit.
(2) mount the top 2 screws ONLY and lock them from inside the boat transom with locking plier from inside and tighten the screws from outside with socket wrench.
(3) drill the bottom 2 holes and mount them.

Last edited by a moderator: