Thinking of buying a 60 year old aluminum 14' Lonestar

GlormRax

Cadet
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've rented many a tin boat but I'm now considering my first purchase. This 14.5 foot Lonestar looks great in the photos. It has all the accessories, a newer 15hp Honda (newer than the boat at least), nice trailer, and seems like a good deal at $2k.

But, according to the seller, it was made in 1957, which makes it almost as old as I am. Owner says it leaks some, I believe him. He says transom in good shape.

Am I crazy to be considering a 60 year old, riveted boat? I might get to see it in person this weekend. Any specifics to look for? TIA.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Have you ever done any boat repairs? Have you ever done any trailer repairs (bearings, springs, rust repair etc.). How old is the Honda? If you are not equipped to do these kind of repairs then you end up paying much more than the 2K for a boat that needs more professional repair. With enough time, money and elbow grease, anything can be made serviceable. Only you can determine if you are up to the task. With no pictures we can only offer "caution" as advice. What someone tells you over the phone or by e-mail is generally worse when you actually see what it is you are interested in. In your case, insist on an on-water test. If he balks, better make an absolute "low ball" offer.

GlormRax

Cadet
I've never done boat repair, but have done a lot of work on cars/trucks through the years, including a couple of FJ60s, which are kinda like boats only they don't float, but "break out another thousand" isn't that far off when you own one, lol!

Here's a link to the CL ad with pics: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/d/145-aluminum-boat-honda-15hp/6366470577.html

Your comment Silvertip "What someone tells you over the phone or by e-mail is generally worse when you actually see what it is you are interested in" really rings so true! The few boats I've looked at so far have been so much worse than the photos or the description. Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Considering your location, and all that is included, it looks like a nice setup and reasonable price.

But I think the motor may be a bit older, but not a Honda expert.
Perhaps check manufacture date on the id plate, or get the serial number and check that way.

Would like to know how much water leaks in after 8 hours on the lake. If less than a couple gallons, nothing to worry about in my opinion.

So, will it be big enough for you ? Does it fit your needs ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Beyond how much water it leaks in a typical day, my bigger concern would be whether any pressure treated wood was used to rebuild the bench seats and or on the floor.

Generally, PT is bad for aluminum boats.....

roffey

Commander
I can start with I have never owned a tin boat but I would think a 15 foot tin fishing boat can't be that hard to fix. The boat is open, if it leaks re rivet it maybe bang the existing ones tighter or just seal it and use it as it is? IMHO, that boat, motor and trailer is a nice setup for 2K. If the motor runs, your good to go.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
It looks like a deal to me because of all the extra good stuff. Ask him where it leaks and make sure it's not got damage or big cracks causing the problem.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
60 year old leaking boat, 30 to 40 year old motor with unknown hours, old trailer, if you buy it plan to spend time working on it and of course putting more $$$ into it. I live in the same area code as the phone number given. Aluminum boats that old and motors and trailers that old generally sell for around $500 less than the asking price. I personally would plan to spend a little more and get something that doesn?t leak, is a little newer and more dependable. With all the new parts on the engine it?s obvious the owner has had a lot of problems with the motor and is probably trying to recoup his out of pocket expenses.
If you are still interested in it tell the guy you want to test drive it on the water. Then see how much it leaks and how it runs. With a 916 area code he lives close to either the delta or lakes. If he won?t allow an in water test then walk away from it.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
60 year old leaking boat, 30 to 40 year old motor with unknown hours, old trailer, if you buy it plan to spend time working on it and of course putting more $$$ into it.

I agree. There's nothing special about the boat, motor, or equipment. $2k is way, way too high.

Was the boat used in salt or brackish water? If so the motor and trailer are probably worthless.

GlormRax

Cadet
Good food for thought all, thanks. Probably going to see it tomorrow, but thinking I might pass on it and look for something newer even if it looks ok.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
check it out close, it might be all ready for you. As one who always, always loses $ on boats I spend time doing it right. It is my hobby

GlormRax

Cadet
Saw it on Saturday. It's not the boat for me...the search goes on. Thanks all for the input.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've rented many a tin boat but I'm now considering my first purchase. This 14.5 foot Lonestar looks great in the photos. It has all the accessories, a newer 15hp Honda (newer than the boat at least), nice trailer, and seems like a good deal at $2k.

But, according to the seller, it was made in 1957, which makes it almost as old as I am. Owner says it leaks some, I believe him. He says transom in good shape.

Am I crazy to be considering a 60 year old, riveted boat? I might get to see it in person this weekend. Any specifics to look for? TIA.

Back when I was running a Bronze and Seafoam White 7 ? Johnson (color dates engine) on rented ones, you had one hand on the tiller and a dipper in the other. If the boat you were renting didn't leak, the waves you were hitting came aboard, so either way water was always sloshing around. We used to take rubber mats, like you have to scrape the mud off at the door to your home, and throw them in the bottom to keep your feet dry.

The boats that had transom drains, you'd just pull the plug and leave it out till you got back to the dock and were coming off plane, plug it before the backwash came back through it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Looking at the boat I think you made the right decision. When I see prices I forget most are in USD and I'm thinking CDN funds, big difference today. That Honda looks older than 1980. There is only a couple of hundred dollars in used accessories there, maybe. The seller wants top dollar. Keep shopping, we will help you pick out a boat. I think everyone here likes shopping with someone else's coin.

GlormRax

Cadet
Speaking of shopping, I keep coming back to this one even though I'm mostly looking for 14'. Since I probably will mostly be using it alone, 12' probably would do just fine. At most, wife might ride along. Not sure if the dog (90#) will ever tolerate it but might try it someday. Guy says boat is 1972, motor 2001. Man, prices are high here in SF Bay Area.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/12-ft-valco-aluminum-boat/6366456163.html

Looked at a 12' Tracker Guide V12 over the weekend too. Owner wouldn't budge from $2500 for the 2007 boat & 2001 8hp Honda. Barebones other than that & it just felt overpriced.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Your sanfran Craig's is loaded with excellent boats. Gregor, Klamath and Valco. Those are real west coast style aluminum boats that the rest of the country can only dream of finding. You looked at a tracker.... Man you are new. Lol. Pick one of those I listed and link us too it. I will say your dog and wife will love a boat so the bigger the better. The ones I listed are all cut big and have higher weight ratings and HP ratings than the junk they buy in the East. You have all kinds of boats to chose from. Click on boats and enter aluminum in the search bar. Your lucky!