Looking at a 1973 Glastron V-162

hilaker

Cadet
I'm in the process of looking for a new boat. I came across this really cool 1973 Glastron v-162 with a newer yamaha outboard motor. This guy bought the boat two years ago from another guy on Craigslist, and also bought a brand new 17' ez loader trailer, and 1997 Yamaha 80hp 2 stroke from an outboard motor shop nearby. I went and checked it out but when he started up the motor it was missing and then would die. He hasn't started the motor at all in the last two years and he stored it inside. Do you think it could be as simple as getting new spark plugs? I got him down to $1800 because of the way the motor was running. Do you think this is a good deal?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/d/1973-glastron-162/6354964715.html

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Ask him what he did for fuel preservation during those two years. Some options:

Drain fuel tank and run engine till it is out of gas
Leave fuel in tank and pull fuel line to engine and let it run out of gas
Leave everything the way it was when he shut it off the last time.
Same as above but put fuel conditioner in fuel tank and ran it through engine.

His answer to that may give you some hints into your current problem. Fuel that sits in an engine for extended periods is just trouble. Amount has to be determined by your inspection after the fact. Problems can be carbs need a repair kit and cleaning, fuel lines have to be looked at and maybe rplaced, fuel pump diaphragm (kit) could be necessary, fuel filter replacement, squeeze bulb on the fuel line, fuel line from the tank to the engine.....all possible trouble spots, not necessarily, but things that need to be eliminated.

Doubt the plugs are a problem if not a problem when he last ran it.

I think low balling him is a good idea.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm a little funny about boats that don't work - if he doesn't want to put the energy into fixing it, then it's not worth very much (IMHO). Pick a number you're willing to lose - $300, $500 - and make an offer. Broke boats ain't worth much.

That boat in my area (while a nice boat) is worth about $1,500 - $1,800 if everything is working.

hilaker

Cadet
OK thanks Texas, I will test those things out and try to get the price down a little more.