Cockeyed ride.

M&M1

Cadet
1987 Century Coronado FG. At cruise speed 2400 RPM and up, the boat leans to the left. Even with just the driver it leans to the left. What can I do? What is the problem? Hull is dry, been kept on trailer. M&M

mr 88

Commander
You can put trim tabs on it. You can move everything with weight to the starboard side. Is this new to you or did it just start to list while under way recently. Prop torque is the main culprit and there isn't much you can do about that. Is it a straight inboard or I/O ?

M&M1

Cadet
The boat is new to me. Started noticing this 2nd time out. Straight inboard, no tabs. We had 7 people on board and moved folks around to balance the load. M&M

mr 88

Commander
Like I said all you can do short of buying tabs is move everything that isn't glassed in to the starboard side. Battery,anchor, safety equip,cooler,lines etc. If the tank is accessible you may try to move that a few inches as well.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Usually these problems are simple weight distribution issues. If you can balance it out by moving your passengers around then that most likely is the issue. Look at locations of heavy things like batteries and fuel tanks. If it is not a weight issue then it is a much more complicated problem involving the amount of deadrise, weight of the boat and so on. However, usually with boats like this if they lean to one side on a plane it's to the right because of engine torque. A set of trim tabs may correct the problem.

M&M1

Cadet
I agree with weight distribution. It just seems real sensitive balance. Could shaft alignment or cupping the prop a little help? A little vibration about 3000 rpm to wot.

mr 88

Commander
It wouldn't hurt to have the prop balanced and tuned by a reputable shop. That may take care of the vibration. Usually if the shaft is out of alignment the cuttless bearing/ sleeve gets taken out and the vibration is straight across the rpm range. Maybe check to see if there is any play in the cuttless bearing to verify that is not the issue. Ask the prop shop about cupping and your torque issue ,they are supposed to be the pro's.

M&M1

Cadet
No Title

I sure hope all Coronado's do not have prop torque. M&M

Attachments

• photo279776.jpg
    photo279776.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0

mr 88

Commander
Pretty much all propeller powered boats have prop torque. That's one reason they sell trim tabs. Two engines and counter rotating prop for one power plant takes care of that issue. Had a boat with twin I/Os and both props rotated the same along with the seating arrangement favoring the port side. Even trimming up the port engine didn't help. Next season I had oversized tabs on it,problem solved. I doubt a waterlogged hull would have any affect on it as the extra weight distribution would be fairly even across the beam of the hull.

M&M1

Cadet
Ok. Been doing some get ready on my boat. Just got it in the water this year. Thanks for all your W6M_8906.JPGW6M_8906.JPGW6M_8906.JPG advice above. Found the rudder to be bent slightly. Took the rudder to a amish metal shop. The guy measured everything up, put it in his press twice and straightened it a little. Charged me $20. Boat rides level now.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad to hear you got it fixed!

I caught a stump with the prop/rudder on my Supra years ago. Got the shaft and prop fixed.... the damage to the rudder wasn't as obvious but the boat was tracking left. The shop determined the rudder shaft was also bent.

Beautiful boat you have there, by the way.

ahicks

Captain
Just wanted to add that they generally put the driver on the high side when it comes to prop torque. That's why some boat are driven from the left side, others from the right.

Coronado inboard is a damn fine boat. Glad you got back with us on what you found.