Celebrity boats

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just looking for an opinion where Celebrity Boats fit in in the quality hiarchy with brands like Cobalt and Bryant being at the top, and Bayliner/Maxum being being near the bottom/entry level. Looking at a few used ones and prices seem to be affordable. Is there a reason for that? Poor quality? Looking for advice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
since Celebrity is out of business, what is the condition of the boat?

condition is #1 over brand

however when it was new Celebrity was a lower lier boat

southkogs

Staff member
My opinion - a hierarchy game of brand like this is sort of packed with assumptions.

If I'm not mistaken the Cobalt brand came out of the Celebrity boats (think they're out of business, right?). But I probably would be more likely to consider the Celebrity brand "run of the mill." Not a bad boat by any stretch, but nothing that has gold trimmed sales brochures either.

BUT - I wouldn't necessarily apply the "poor quality" label to boats like Maxum or Bayliner either. Some of them have been bad, but not all of them are.

If you're trailering back and forth to local inland lakes to take the family out and have some fun, and the Celebrity boat in question is in good shape (well kept, all solid and running properly), there's no reason it can't be a good boat for you.

Are you looking at a particular boat?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yep all about condition and I'd put Bryant as an upper lower class.

i bet you are looking at ~20 years old boats. Price means nothing about quality. Price means what the owner thinks it is worth. What it is worth is up to you and condition...

i'd pay $20k for a (verified) mint Bayliner over a $10k 'pretty' Cobalt.

And I've owned 15 or more boats, I've learned a lot.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kinda what I needed to hear from you guys. I'm looking at 2 different Celebrity bowriders, a '93 and '95 both 18.5' with a 4.3L. I'm currently on bowrider #4 myself and it is a Bayliner, the 2nd Bayliner I've owned and I have no real complaints as the current one was really well cared for/maintained by previous owners and is near mint condition after owning an 87 Sea Ray years ago. Just looking to move up a few model years and go back to I/O as current boat is 120hp OB. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So at 120 hp, you are on a Force outboard or worse a dreaded Ldrive (had one)? If an OB then keep the boat you have if in good shape if you must get more HP then swap motors.

The devil you know is way better than the one you do not....

southkogs

Staff member
Kinda' with Joe - what's the advantage to swapping boats aside from more HP? (unless it's just liking I/O vs Outboard)

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
1994 Force by Mercury 120HP outboard. Starts and runs good. Stainless prop. Decent power. Winterized, Flushed w/marine antifreeze, fogged cylinders, lower unit oil changed every fall. New plugs every spring.

tpenfield

Staff member
All seriousness aside . . .Celebrity is not known for being on the top of the quality hierarchy, but look at the bright side, no one will steal it. :D

Condition certainly outweighs initial build quality in the used market.

zool

Captain
Condition being equal, I would be concerned with resale value, sometimes you get a good boat dirt cheap just because they have little to no resale interest. Thats all well and good when things are ship shape, but when they end up needing significant repairs or reconditioning, or you just want to add some bling and cool toys, thats when you get burnt....production sport boats like Bayliner, Imperial, Celebrity, ect, ect dont really draw alot of targeted buyer searches, where production boats like Donzi, Formula, Sea Ray, Chris Craft, ect, ect get attention. Always assume most production boats from the 80' and early 90's arent really ship shape under the shine.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I'm am not sure when they went out of business, but if were me I'd make sure sure it did not have Ford engine, or OMC drive. Parts and people who can repair them could be hard to find. If it is a cherry buy it. Check the floor and transom for soft spots. Boats left outside from my experience die a wet death. I know you will laugh at this, but the adds I respond to are ( always stored inside) Dave-R

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Youre looking at 23 and 25 year old boats.....assume they are projects with rotten hulls. If the hulls are not rotten, consider it a blessing as you work on the other systems needing attention

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. Joe I like your comment "The devil you know is way beter than the one you do not" and your comments on Bayliner. I've owned two of them and they were maintained well by the previous' owners and solid boats.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've had several Bayholes (as we call them on my forum) and all good - other than the L Drive thing.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree totally on that Joe. Regarding the "L Drive", I've looked at used boats over the years that had that and it scared me away, I always ended up buying a conventional I/O or OB. L Drive looked just too unconventional.

jkust

Rear Admiral
A 25 year old Celebrity is in the category of what you consider to be affordable. What is your boat budget for purchase and then your repair budget and your ongoing budget?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I agree totally on that Joe. Regarding the "L Drive", I've looked at used boats over the years that had that and it scared me away, I always ended up buying a conventional I/O or OB. L Drive looked just too unconventional.

great idea, bad excecution on engineering and quality I think. Mine blew a head as a result of the exhaust manifold falling apart. That said it was a a Force and was easy to work on but parts for all Force are getting thin.

so back tot he OP - if the boat overall works for you but can upgrade in HP and quality on an outboard....