Water between hull shells after water in the boat

oering

Cadet
After a severe storm here in Germany my 14 feet fishing boat with a double-walled glass fibre hull sank down to the ground, as the waves came over the board. As it was not so deep something stuck out, so that I could lift the boat pretty easy, by scooping out the water. However, I must assume that the boat hit the ground up and down for several hours. The out-boarder was also loose and almost fell into the water. The ground on this place was only sand, without any stones, so I hope the hull is intact, but I am not sure.
Now the boat floats again, but there is water in the space between the two hull shells. It floats, but the bow is deeper than the stern and I can feel the water between the shells when I walk and the boat cannot glide anymore, which never was a problem before. I never had problems with this 5-year-old Turkish Safter 450 boat before. Tomorrow, I will slip the boat out with my trailer and try to get rid of the water. In the stern locker, where the bilge is, there is a screw which allows access to the open space. I could get out some water there, but I cannot get rid of the rest, which seems to be quite a substantial amount. I also do not know, if there is some foam between the shells, which could maybe delay the procedure. In any case the hull is not completely covered with foam. ​
​My question is: Do I have to fear that there is a leak in the outer hull, or is it normal that water can come in between the shells, taking into account that the whole boat including all lockers was full of water for several hours? Or should a class C boat (for coastal waters according to European regulation) don?t allow this at all. Some time ago I had installed a few things and putting screws through the inner and outer shell, but nothing substantial (I always used marine sealing stuff) and I had never problems like this before. Furthermore, the fact, that there is an opening with a screw inside the bilge which allows access to the space tells me that the engineers who constructed it, at least considered it possible that water can come in, otherwise the whole would be useless. The question is only if this is intended for less amounts.
​I am also a bit concerned, as I have to drive over the lake to the slipping ramp.
​What do you think? Thanks for any comments

southkogs

Staff member
First thoughts - and without having seen anything:

If you can tow the boat to the ramp, I think that might be better. But, if most of the boat is out of the water, and you can safely put a gas tank in the boat - then I think you can run it very slowly for a couple of miles to get it to the ramp if you have to.

If you've gotten water in the hull, it's possible that there is damage from the storm. But it is just as likely that the water is just what came over the sides during the storm. When you get the boat on the trailer, pull the garboard drain and get the bow of the boat as high as you safely can. Then just let the water drain - maybe for a day or two.

After you've let the water drain, put the plug back in. Put the boat in the water and watch the bilge for water collecting in the stern. Don't really go anywhere, just let it float for a little while. Pull it on the trailer again, and drain it out. If you have water coming out of the boat, then you have a leak somewhere.

oering

Cadet
Hi Southkogs,

​Thanks for your answer. I agree that the water came over the sides during the storm. I actually managed to get this water out completely and the boat floats now with the bow a bit deeper than the stern, due to the remaining water inside the hull. I also managed to get a substantial amount of water out of the inner hull by draining it into the bilge, but there is still water left so that I cannot come into gliding anymore .But I can still more or less drive safely and slowly to the slipping ramp, I hope.
I drained the inner hull screw about a week ago and I will take up your suggestion to see if there is more water coming today, indicating a damage of the outer hull.
​However, I just wonder where and how several gallons of water managed to come in between the two hull shells if the outer hull is undamaged. Today I will try to put the boat on the trailer. let?s see.