Hull repair/upgrades: Were these done on your boat in the past year (by you or shop/marina)?

Hull repair/upgrades: Were these done on your boat in the past year (by you or shop/marina)?

• Floor replacement

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Feature/function upgrades where you use fiberglass materials

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Punctuators / hole repairs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Resurfacing

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • None of these

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatguy5

Recruit

I am new to boating and learning about all of the different repair tasks that may be necessary. Could you let me know if you have had hull repairs/upgrades made in the past year?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
None of those are really maintenance (per se), those are more repair or upgrade items. You're actually missing all of the normal maintenance things I've done to the boats that I own. What kind of boat did you get?

:welcome:

boatguy5

Recruit
None of those are really maintenance (per se), those are more repair or upgrade items. You're actually missing all of the normal maintenance things I've done to the boats that I own. What kind of boat did you get?

Good point, thanks. I reworded. Have you ever had any of these things done? How often do you have to do each item, would you say? I bought a boat and now I'm figuring out the costs involved (a little backwards, eh?). It's a bowrider.

Thanks!

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice
Small gel coat repairs, re-finishing teak (varnish) and waxing are common annual tasks on boats. They take time, but don't cost a lot of money. Engines typically have annual maintenance involving fluid and filter changes, etc.

Depending on where you live, you may have to winterize the boat annually. If the boat lives on a trailer, it requires maintenance, but you usually don't have to worry about bottom paint and annual zinc anode replacement.

Good Luck,

southkogs

Staff member
Have you ever had any of these things done? How often do you have to do each item, would you say?
Over my life, my family or I have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 or so boats. I have probably done a little touch up on one of the fiberglass hulls, cleaned the dickens out of almost all of 'em, and we've only ever sanded / painted / repaired one of them (late 50's rowboat we all like and try to keep lookin' nice).

Honestly for all of the boating I've done, and the boats I've had, I've done very little hull work to them. And I typically own pretty old boats.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
boatguy5 - What's with the polls? Honestly they don't make much sense when you're polling about boat repairs and waxing. Are you conducting a marketing study or doing a school project? Will we be seeing a report that 4 out of 5 dentists prefer Dentyne?

You could say I'm skeptical about your intentions. You say you bought a boat, so ask questions about that boat, not start polls. We give better advice when we have a starting place - Like what kind and be more descriptive than bowrider, along with problems you have with the boat. Pictures are welcome. Thanks.

boatguy5

Recruit
i like polls because they help me see whether or not i'll fall in the middle of the curve when it comes to doing some of these things. i already asked all of the boat specific questions during the buying phase, so that, to me, is water under the bridge! now i'm learning about all of the things that go in to keeping that boat afloat. i don't want to be one of those people who say the best part about owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it!

harleyman1975

Ensign
GA Boater I believe 4 out of 5 dentists prefer Carefree sugarless gum for their patients that chew gum...ahem...lol!

briangcc

Commander
Sorry bud but only hull repairs I have ever had to do were minor touch ups to Gelcoat nicks. I had a couple cracks in the Gelcoat I had a marina repair - one under warranty (less than a month old at the time). Beyond that...all the items you listed are typically for boats that have been neglected and/or are rather old.

Other than that...I'm sad to say the best two times are indeed buying and offloading. My Four Winns told me exactly when it was ready to no longer be a part of my family and quite frankly I was happy to oblige. Coincidentally, the new owner apparently has the same opinion as after a season of ownership the new owner has it up on Craigslist...at a much inflated price!

I do agree that you'll get much better answers if you actually ask a question specific to your boat instead of generalizations as each and every boat is different.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i like polls because they help me see whether or not i'll fall in the middle of the curve when it comes to doing some of these things. i already asked all of the boat specific questions during the buying phase, so that, to me, is water under the bridge! now i'm learning about all of the things that go in to keeping that boat afloat. i don't want to be one of those people who say the best part about owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it!

No questions asked here that we can see. But that's OK. Ask questions, polls aren't questions. Friendly advice.

Between both threads, I get the impression that you bought a boat that needs works and the gelcoat is no longer shiny. Ask about these things.

Pictures, we do like pictures.

tpenfield

Staff member

So, you are new to boating . . . And you think that you know enough to put together a meaningful poll about what people have needed to do or have done to their boats. :facepalm:

I think you are better off reviewing the various threads on the engine and the restoration forums.

You will get a better idea of what to expect as a new boater/ boat owner.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since you never asked this forum any questions prior to your purchase, let us know what you have. I expect you will not get the answers to this poll the way you had hoped.

Sounds to me like all your questions were to the seller and they told you a bunch of BS to get you to buy their junk. All of the above are not yearly tasks, they are usually near the end of life span(15 to 20 years from new) of a boat to keep it on the water. Yearly maintenace is more engine related. Again please share what you have and include plenty of pictures

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

one, no one likes polls

two, boating is an expensive hobby. more expensive than auto racing and nearly as expensive as owning an airplane

three, if your boat is over 15 years old, its at the end of its design life. that may involve a hull restoration or a repower.

and yes, anyone who does not understand #2 will have a miserable time boating.

now tell us what boat you own and we can help you.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
and nearly as expensive as owning an airplane

​You mean for a few bucks more I could have bought an airplane? :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

yes, nothing fancy, however something like a nice piper-cub with clipped wings (reed conversion) and an LS conversion

dwco5051

Commander

I have owned both and can tell you that the bolt that cost 50 cents for your car will cost $2.00 for your boat and $10.00 for your plane.

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome Aboard!!!
Quick FYI HERE....
Nobody really likes polls. Just point out what result you are looking for and people here will help they just want to know what outcome you are looking for. With that said...Boating isn?t a cheap hobby. But it is not as expensive as drag racing. And when they say Boat means bust out another thousand that can be true. But if you can do your own work and maintain the boat by yourself it means Best Overall Adult Toy! The first time you launch that boat and get IT to WOT it makes you feel 20 years younger.
Good Luck with your project!!

Status
Not open for further replies.