Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I don't have a boat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatguy5

Recruit
[FONT=&quot]Hi all, just got a boat and I'm learning along the way. I've heard that waxing your hull is necessary in order to maintain finish, prolong boat life and improve performance. How many of you are waxing your hulls every year? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks![/FONT]

southkogs

Staff member
I think someone gave you some questionable information ;) What kind of boat are you trying to care for?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Waxing isn?t optional...

Two coats of paste wax in the Spring and touch up thruout the season

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I never wax my hull. After 19 years it still looks fine.

BTW, wax will actually slow you down. Sand your hull if you actually want to go faster...not recommended.

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Boatguy,

I think some of the confusion may be that boats are usually waxed from the waterline up. That keeps them shiny, much like a car. As Bruce says above, waxing the "hull" below the waterline doesn't do you any good. The topsides of fiberglass boats are usually waxed once or twice a year, depending on where you live and how the boat is stored.

Aluminum boats don't need wax, nor do those that are painted with Awlgrip (the blue hull on my GB Eastbay is Awlgrip).

Good Luck,

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well well 3 posts and asking for a poll that screams scam to me lets see your boat

briangcc

Commander
Usually I'll wax every other spring....or any time I need to use rubbing compound to remove a waterline mark. I do the sides up to the top, not the bottom of the hull. Keeps it looking clean for my usage. Must be doing something right as I'm usually questioned when I bring the boat in for service if it's actually got any hours on it.

Disclaimer: With the weather the way it was this past summer in my neck of the woods I didn't wax the boat when I bought it. It'll be done next year as I have a good waterline mark from this past summer's family vacation that needs to be removed and I have a couple nicks in the gel coat that need to be touched up before applying wax.

ziggy

Admiral
[FONT=&quot]I've heard that waxing your hull is necessary in order to maintain finish[/FONT]
i wax my fiberglass boat from top to bottom, inside and out, once year. i find it seems to keep my 47 year old boat looking much closer to new.
i also find it useful in finding any damage that may have occurred over they corse of the year. while hand waxing, ya look at every spot on the boat. if damage has happened that ya don't know about, you can find it this way.
[FONT=&quot]prolong boat life[/FONT]
i don't know if it prolongs the life of the boat or not. i think there are other things ya can do other than waxing that prolong boat life. ie regular maint.
[FONT=&quot]and improve performance[/FONT]
i agree with bruceb58 and others that waxing below the waterline does not improve performance. it may actually hinder performance as the boat will have better adhesion to the water when waxed. since i don't have a race boat, i still wax it for reasons i stated about. i want to look closely at the whole hull for damage that i may not have known about. speed is not my objective.
well well 3 posts and asking for a poll that screams scam to me lets see your boat
could be, specially since another of them 3 or 4 post is a poll too. though i don't know what the scam would be. the question in this post seems legit to me.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I use meguirs polish and wax a few times a year. Keeps her good and easy to clean.
A few guys in the yard also put polish on and leave in removed over the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.