Brand New Chinese Ebay Boats what do I look for?

jogirob

Cadet
Hi,
I'm on a budget and enjoy getting a good bang for the buck. I've gone out on a limb and bought a brand new adventure motorcycle about a year ago from Zhongchen China and I was thoroughly impressed with the quality despite the naysayers.
I've been looking for a slight upgrade from my 9.9ft inflatable and found this quaint little 17ft closed cabin. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-17-7-F...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
My questions are:
#1 Is there any additional hoops I have to go through with registering the boat stateside? Such as inspections and such.
#2 Anyone have any experience buying a boat or other big ticket item from Ebay and China?
#3 Any other tips?
Thanks all.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have you looked at the rest of the j̶u̶n̶k̶ stuff the seller has?

Are you really willing to drop $10K on an unseen boat from an unknown manufacturer with unknown build quality?

Have you inquired about the return shipping costs if you aren't happy? Don't forget to add customs fees/duties to the cost.

Ask your local authorities about getting it registered.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I've gone out on a limb and bought a brand new adventure motorcycle about a year ago from Zhongchen China and I was thoroughly impressed with the quality despite the naysayers

Anything comming out of Zhongchen is knock-off low-quality carp.

You get what you pay for

mr 88

Commander
HAHAHAH a beam of 5' -2'' is what there listing and any 17' fiberglass boat with a 40 hp is grossly underpowered. Unless you live in the NW the pilot house will be a steambath in the summer. If I was dropping 10k I would be looking anywhere in my driving range for a decent American built boat with a power plant that I could readily get parts for if need be. I would also be able to sea trial that boat and get any sort of negative or positive feedback on this site.DO NOT HIT the buy it now button is my advice.

briangcc

Commander
Personal (well my dad's) experience with buying larger ticket items out of China.

My dad bought what was advertised as a Fender guitar out of China. Paid a pretty penny for it too. When it arrived it was a clear knockoff and wouldn't hold tune. He attempted to get a refund to no avail. Then attempted to offload it on eBay to get some of his money back. Got slapped with a Cease & Decist order when trying to do so. Last I knew, he ended up replacing most of the internals, the neck and offloaded it to a music store at a substantial loss. I'm not so sure I'd be buying a large ticket item out of China sight unseen.

My own experience buying a classic car out of NJ sight unseen.... Found my Trans Am of my dreams, albeit a project, at a dealership in NJ. Called and got the price negotiated. Dealer stated they were driving the car religiously and that they were going to replace the rear axle as it was squealing. When it arrived in NY it was not as described. No way in heck the dealer was driving that car unless he/she had a death wish. Leaked fluids from every, and I do mean EVERY, seal. Battery was leaking acid and wouldn't hold a charge. Front shock wasn't connected and opposite side the spring was broken in 2. Floors...the carpet held the driver from going through. IF I had gone out to look at the car it would probably still be sitting there. You don't want to know how much I have tied up in the car now to get it roadworthy - price of a small house!

Bottom line...you're asking for trouble buying sight unseen.

southkogs

Staff member
No way - not for what I can get for $10k used close by. I've heard too many bad reports on the Parsun anyway.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Interesting free trailer, hmmm that bow eye. I see some issues there the same as everyone else.

s-l1600.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
On the bright side you can cruise around pretending to be the harbor patrol :D