yellowpepper

Recruit
I've been looking at several hard top aluminum boats:

Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220
Duckworth Pacific Pro 22
NorthRiver Sea Hawk 22
Alumaweld Intruder 22
and more

One odd thing I noticed among aluminum boats is that, nobody publish their MSRP and/or option price list. If not for one dealer publishing a real price on a single 24' left over, I wouldn't even know they are in my price range.

Based on what I read over various forum, I was expecting the Duckworth to be the most expensive, followed by North River, Hewescraft and Alumaweld. But the quote I got are totally the other way around, with the Duckworth several thousands $$$ less than the others.

So I tried to use Nada guide to find base MSRP for the Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET HT. It isn't perfect, but the number I calculated using Nada is significantly lower than the "best price of the year" quote, which is supposed to be $10k off the MSRP. Are they just BS'ing me, or is the Nada MSRP totally off?

Anyway, the point is, I'd like to shoot for 20%-30% off MSRP. But without knowing the starting point, I feel completely in the dark in this negotiation. (it doesn't help that I'm not a good negotiator...)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

cars are priced by MSRP. boats are priced for what the market will bear. only the manufacturers website would have pricing and only on spec boats

the boats you are looking at are custom ordered boats. visit your local dealer

southkogs

Staff member
... and after you talk with your local dealer, take a look at one a few hours away. Sometimes you can do well taking a short trip to pick up a boat as opposed to buying it locally.

:welcome:

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice
Typically, you will find the best prices on those boats at the Boat Show (I am assuming you live in the Northwest?). Historically, the North River's would be the most expensive due to their fully welded construction and commercial hull background (from Almar), but that may have changed since the old owner ruined the company.

Ask around for what last year's boat show prices were and that will give you a good idea of where the Dealer's pain point is on price.

Good Luck,

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Find someone selling a 1 year old model and buy it for their loan balance.
Should be about 25% off of new.

ahicks

Captain
Just an opinion, but when looking for a specialized boat like this, there aren't a lot of them built. Meaning if you want a new one, the manf. is going to make some money on it, or they aren't going to build it! Many/most manf's don't sell direct to customers, so you'll end up going through a dealer to get one. They aren't going to provide that service for free either. For these reasons, forget MSRP.

My experience has been that you can get your best deal working with a dealer that's physically located closest to the manf. Talk with the factory rep regarding the boat and options you're interested in. If you can get your options factory installed, you're generally better off for it from a price perspective as well as a skilled installation. If the factory doesn't offer the option, leave it out of your deal with them. That's something you can figure out later. If you aren't local to the manf. ask the factory rep to recommend a local dealer that he would feel comfortable delivering this boat through - to minimize freight costs. This dealer will/should realize all he's providing on the deal is paperwork, which should keep his profit pretty reasonable. I wouldn't discuss price with the factory rep. just get his name. Call the dealer the rep suggested, and tell them you've been working with the factory rep by name, about this boat with these options, and you'd like a price on it. If the price is reasonable, be prepared to place a deposit, and ask for a delivery date.

That's how I'd do it.

Last edited:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
My questions would be "are you buying a boat or a price?" Find one that works for you and comes with a price you think is fair and just buy it.

As for going to dealer an hour away?; I wouldn't recommend it. Although I'm sure your local dealer has some agreement that he must do warranty work no matter where the boat was purchased, you can bet you'll be at the back of the line the week of July 4th when three boats need fixed...yours and 2 others that were purchased at the local dealer.

Finally, the boat show price thing is a myth. In fact, you might end up paying even more. You'd be surprised how much the dealer has to pay to bring his boats to the show. I can assure you he's not giving them away. Just my opinion, and you know what those are like :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
MSRP is a marketing ploy....

Cash buys you nothing. They?re giving up 5-6 years of interest payments. Better off with dealer financing with no early repayment penalty, then pay it off.

Go at the end of a quarter. Salespeople are a bit more flexiable in their dealing with a quota pushing from behind.

Do your market research...list doesn?t reflect cost. Throwing in over priced options for free or at reduced price to run up the base price is another ploy.

Bring your significant other and play off each other. No one is happy unless mama is happy;) and mine is a pretty good actor and negotiator on her own.

Your not getting it done talking with a sales associate. Usally doesn't take more than a round or two until I ask to see someone withheld the authority to accept a deal. Negioate directy with the sales manager.

Don?t be afraid to get up and walk out as part of your negotiating strategy. They want the sale as much as you want the boat, if not more. A call back puts you back in the drivers seat

I usually give them my business card to use when filling out the offer sheet then ask if they have the authority to approve deal. Cuts down on the sales pitches and usually gets me an audience with the sales manager

shrew

Lieutenant
Many builders are building 'To Order' nowadays. The deep discounts are motivated by a need to clear inventory. That changed around 2008. You might find deals on a left-over showroom model. Boat shows have good incentives. The less expensive the overall boat, usually the less meat on the bone. I have reservations about a 30% discount. However, I'm sure they're out there.