Canadians - keeping boat in the garage, what to do for winterization?

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As the title says, planning on keeping the boat in the garage over the winter... I never had to do any "winterization" with any of my motorcycles before, and always kept them in the garage (non-heated). But this being my first boat and of course being different, what would you suggest?

I'm not planning on wrapping it since it will be out of the elements, but the regular cover will be on it. to prevent small animals from trying to climb in, Winters have been mild the last few years in my area (last year I used up a whole 5 liters of gas to run my snow blower) so we didn't have major snow or major cold spells (-20C I think was the lowest we got, maybe up to mid -20s sporadically).

Any advice from fellow Ontarians or anyone in the great lakes area would be appreciated. :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have an outboard

run it out of fuel, fog if you want to, change gear lube, store vertically = winterized

outboards are self draining.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah was already planning on doing the gear lube change... mainly in case there's any water mixed in.

So gear lube and fogging, will have to lookup fogging and see if I can do it myself.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
fogging is not a requirement. many like to do it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If your boat is inoperative for a year or more, fog it. If not, service the lower unit and park it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I put Dryer sheets and shavings of Irish Spring soap in the nooks and crannies especially around electrical wiring. Never had a mouse show up. You don't change the lower gear lube in case there is water it is to determine if you have a leak. Look for milky oil. I fog every Fall, Starts right up in spring. Find it on You Tube.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys, I may or may not consider fogging it then, It should be back up and running by Spring (April, May the latest)... Definitely will service the lower unit, the previous owner told me he used to service the lower unit twice a year, once at the end of the season and once after a couple of outings, just in case... not sure I want to go that far but it's not a big deal not to.

I don't have a problem with mice or animals, we have had the odd mouse in the garage but they're not a problem in our area, I will do the dryer sheets just in case.