GAS SMELL

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
HI All, I have a 1990 Ranger Comanche 361V . When my boat is sitting I often smell gas odor coming from cowl vent near back of boat . It always the vent by the gas line. One is pointed forward and the other is pointed rearward. I changed all the gas lines from the two tanks to the engine, including the primer bulb. Is this normal to smell a little gas odor? I don't think I have a gas leak before the primer bulb because when I prime it the bulb will stay hard for a long while, sometimes till the next day. Some people are telling me its normal and some people are telling me I should not be smelling any gas odor at all. Can someone tell me what's going on?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the tank built-in with a tank vent near the the cowl vent?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gas odor in the bilge is very bad. You need to get rid of it. If the gasoline lines are new, suspect the gaskets on the fuel gauge sender, fuel pickup fitting or vent fitting.

tpenfield

Staff member
There should be no gasoline smell. If you can smell gasoline in the bilge, you may have more of a problem than you are hoping for. . .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Also, if you have an aluminum fuel tank, and boat in salt water, they can pit and leak. Also, very bad for enjoying a long life....

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2 gas tanks under the seats. They are positioned so that the two fuel gauge sensors and the two fuel pick up fittings are located in the center of the boat. I'm figuring that if it is one of these leaking then I would smell gas odor from both cowl vents. I only smell it on the port side. I have a chase on the port side that the fuel line goes through. One end opens by the fuel vent and the fuel filler hoses and the other ends opens right behind the cowl vent. I guess I should pull up the seats and start with the vent and filler hose.

​The fuel vent and fuel filler hose are 3 ft. from cowl

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
There really isn't a smell of gas in the bilge. Seems like its coming from the chase where the fuel line is ran , and exits by the cowl. I heard its a beast to get these hoses off and on. I;m going to try today

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Only when it sits? Old plastic tanks seep fumes right thru the plastic. Generally that smells like old musky gas. If it smells like fresh gas then that's a leak.