Built in failure rate.

LX Kid

Ensign
Over my life of 70 years I've owned four boats that I can remember. I've never bought new but rather older used ones. All of them had deck or transom failures. Do boat manufactures build boats guaranteed to fail in a few years? Do they do that so you would be willing to buy another? Agreed about water, weather and boat care but "dang" it makes me mad. When you buy a used boat your buying someone else's problem that they will lie about just to get rid of the boat. Seems like in this day and time of modern materials they could do a "lot" better! Hell you spend $25K and on up and I'd expect better longevity of flooring and transoms. What ya think?

Ned L

Commander
I think it has much more to do with trying to be profitable enough to stay in business. Keep in mind their livelihood and business success depends totally on "our" recreation and discretionary spending, a tough place to eek out a living.

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I picked up my 1984 Galaxy Conquest Cuddy and there was one soft spot in the floor and now I?m all the way down to the stringers, my next step is to check the transom which I?m sure I?ll be replacing also. I figure it will keep me out of trouble this winter. Now I have nowhere near 25k in this boat but when it is all said and done I will have spent a nice chunk of money on materials but the boat will be right. I keep thinking back why didn?t I sell this thing when I had the chance and made a nice profit and bought the Chaparral I had my eye on... but then again I would of been into another case of some else?s problems but would be deeper in the hole, because the Chaparral was more money.
My personal opinion is the boat manufacturers skimp on materials to get a better bottom line. I bet you put more materials on your repairs than the factory did. And I bet it will last twice as long.

LX Kid

Ensign
My son used to work for Sea Ray back in the '90's in the fiberglass shop. He sprayed the glass into the molds. The real money is in the motors, controls, interiors and trailers.

tpenfield

Staff member
I believe that Scott Danforth had posted a thread a while ago about the life expectancy of boats. They are generally designed and built to last about 20 years. Some less, some more.

So, when you are buying a boat that is around 20 years old, or older, you are essentially buying something that is beyond its expected life. Within the last 10-15 years many boat manufacturers have taken steps to increase the life span of their boats by using better materials and/or methods.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here you go http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...52-perspective-of-fiberglass-boat-design-life

take a look at the light bulb industry from the turn of the century. they have the technology to make an incandescent light bulb last over a hundred years. they did back then in the early 1900's. the companies made bulbs.... people bought them, the bulbs lasted nearly forever, many of the companies went out of business. the bulb companies had an executive accord, it was decided that bulbs will last 1500 hours. people now buy bulbs every few months, the bulb companies stay in business......

Now back to the boat companies. the design life is15-20 years for most of the boats iboaters own. we just happen to buy them at the end of life #1, we rebuild them and they go on to live life #2 and #3

LX Kid

Ensign
I don't think I would want to go offshore about 50 miles out in a pond boat.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think I would want to go offshore about 50 miles out in a pond boat.

said the guy that has not been able to use his plastic glass boat in 3 months.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...appened-transom-has-to-be-replaced-now-w-pics

Sad thing is you have what is considered one of the best glass boats you can buy. Grady White but what did you get?

My aluminum boat is 25 years old and just did 355 miles last week. It sips fuel because of weight and is strong enough to run up on rocks. That's why the goverment ,military, coast guard and commercial fisherman use aluminum if they can afford it. I've been in your shoes twice with fiberglass (cheap untreated plywood wrapped in plastic resin and fiberglass with a shinny finish). One got stringers and a floor and the other cracked. Went aluminum and never looked back.
I made the glass boat mistake twice but if you search things like alloy boats or commercial vessels you will find a material that is superior in every way except for curvy looks. Aluminum alloy. Plus it's always nice to buy a used boat that holds its value and does not need to be covered or waxed. You bought four rotten plastic boats....wake up. The only problem with aluminum boats in your size is cost and finding a seller but is well worth the hunt.

RGrew176

Commander
My 1981 Carver is well past the 20 year mark and still going strong. One thing about my boat is there is no wood below the water line. The stringers are fiberglass no wood. It is well into its second 20 years. The only issues I have had so far in the 2+ years I have owned the boat are mechanical. Fingers crossed.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's not a problem to build a boat that will last much longer, people don't want to pay for the materials and production methods up front though, they want a sexy look and a low price. Those high end boats can be had, but they aren't mass produced for the general entry level boater.

Aluminum boats can work well, and typically cost less, but they have their issues too, especially in saltwater.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Who in their right mind would manufacture anything that will last a lifetime? Or 40 years. The guys here that ask about repairs needed on 30 year old glass boats are a dime a dozen. Up here you can't give them away. Most of these "new" boat owners can't afford the initial cost of the boat and then are amazed at the cost to get and keep them wet.

I don't think it is as much a built in failure rate as a best before date.

LX Kid

Ensign
I like my Grady because it's heavy and takes waves very nicely. I can't even imagine a light weight aluminum boat beating your kidneys to death. Different boats for different purposes. I'll keep my glass and keep it going. Still putting new transom in and rebuilding the gimbal assembly. If anyone is interested in my project follow the link below.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ced-now-w-pics

GW 241.jpg

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You have a boat from 1982 and with some work it can still be a very good boat, how many Chrysler K cars from 1982 can be called good with any amount of rework.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
My aluminum boat is 25 years old and just did 355 miles last week. It sips fuel because of weight and is strong enough to run up on rocks.

Sure but who cares. I don't buy boats the same way I buy an appliance or power tool. They're a toy, not a necessity & a completely emotional purchase. That's what makes them fun to own. You could talk to me about the benefits of an aluminum boat over a glass one until your blue in the face and it wouldn't change my opinion one bit. I think they suck and would get out of boating completely before I'd ever own one. If they work for you great, but understand people don't own fiberglass boats because they can't afford an aluminum one, they own them because that's what they want!;)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
but understand people don't own fiberglass boats because they can't afford an aluminum one, they own them because that's what they want!;)

There was a mention of commercial owners buying aluminum boats if they can afford them, that's not normally the case, aluminum is typically lower in cost up front, and lower in cost to operate when in use. They can succumb to corrosion and fatigue that can render them useless though, this can happen too soon some times, or they can survive well, it all depends on several variables.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Both can beat you up. An aluminum in rough water can beat up your body and a glass boat can beat up your bank account. There is many a day I wish I had a nice solid glass boat.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
The primary contributing circumstance on how long a boat will last is based on how it was stored and cared for. If you properly cover a boat and keep the water out, it will last a very long time. Obviously the mechanical elements will wear out over time, but even that can be accelerated past normal by not covering and storing properly.