Chris Craft identification

joepav84

Recruit
I recently purchased a foreclosed home and found a boat in the barn. I found a plate with the hull number in the engine compartment. Every list i have looked at and every attempt to sort out the Hull number has failed. Unless I am misunderstanding, hull numbers should be 12 characters. I believe its CJA-16-0236C. I also noted that a few sites have the various formats of Chris Craft hull numbers and none seem to match mine. I am trying to sort out if the boat is worth restoring or if its too far gone. I apologize for being new to this but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -- Joe

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3g7hZjTOJgjNDBXNG96ZHZoLVU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3g7hZjTOJgjay1YV0lKTWsyODA/view?usp=sharing

Ned L

Commander
All I had to see was the name tag to say 'yes' it is worth saving (Algonac and Pompano). Then with the second picture I'd say she is an early to maybe mid 1960's.
You cannot make sense of the number because that's not a "HIN" (the boat is too old for an HIN), that is the C.C. Hull number.
The Mariners Museum in Newport News Va has ALL the C.C. Records and (for a reasonable fee) can provide a copy of the original build sheet with all the original information you could want, including the original ship to address.
Being a 60's boat it is not as desirable as an older speedboat, but it is still worth far more "scrap value"at the very least. There are people who will pay money for it, esp if it has the engine.

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
HIN #s were not required until around 1970. Your ID number is from CC and is not deciphered the same as a normal HIN. I would google Chris Craft owners /web sites/ face book etc and see what they have to say. The boat is worth restoring as long as you have free time and money. Highly unlikely that whatever you put in it will be recouped. So you are mostly doing for yourself to enjoy ,either the restoring itself or the beauty of the boat when done. Aint going to be cheap when you get into the engine if its seized up or has a cracked block.

Ned L

Commander
I'll bet the engine is s "C.C. 185". Simple C.C. Marine conversion of the Chevy 283. It is probably easily salvagable, and even if the block is shot it is still a desirable engine.

Might,...... be a "Holiday".

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
'worth restoring':

If you are asking from a monetary standpoint, probably not. A break even would be lucky but not probable. You will most likely be upside down on cost versus sales price.

If you are asking from a standpoint cool old boat that will get lots of attention at the ramp and on the water and you will enjoy restoring a cool ass old boat and risding around on summer days - absolutely without hesitation.

get us some pics of the inside please.

joepav84

Recruit
I am definitely not expecting to make money on it. It would be a project for myself, my son and my father. His eyes lit up when we found it in the barn. I am currently looking into what it will take to get it titled again as the previous owner is deceased. I will get some more pictures up as soon as i can. Thanks for all the replies! i am excited to embark on this restoration journey!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I am definitely not expecting to make money on it. It would be a project for myself, my son and my father. His eyes lit up when we found it in the barn. I am currently looking into what it will take to get it titled again as the previous owner is deceased. I will get some more pictures up as soon as i can. Thanks for all the replies! i am excited to embark on this restoration journey!
I'd recommend getting the title situation cleared up before spending any money on the boat. Might be easy or difficult. Depends on where you live.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

cool you answered your own question right there.

What state are you in? Titles can be a challenge, but not insurmountable. I have some experience helping people with titles. I have references here that can attest to my effectiveness. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...

joepav84

Recruit
cool you answered your own question right there.

What state are you in? Titles can be a challenge, but not insurmountable. I have some experience helping people with titles. I have references here that can attest to my effectiveness. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...
I live in Ohio, let me know if you have any suggestions as to where to start. We still have some time before we close on the house so anything could happen but hopefully this all works out! More pictures to come soon.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I live in Ohio, let me know if you have any suggestions as to where to start. We still have some time before we close on the house so anything could happen but hopefully this all works out! More pictures to come soon.

Don't be too adventurous until you own the house. Then go after ownership of the Chris Craft, probably using abandoned property statutes in Ohio.

And once you do close on the property, don't spend a nickle on the CC until you have clear ownership. Good luck.