Kentucky lake

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I am going to Kentucky lake in the spring with my folks and was wondering if their 16.5 crest liner deep v with 75 hp would be ok on that lake? My wife's grandpa lives in land between the lakes and has taken me fishing in a small boat several times below the dam. But I have one friend saying that that boat is to small to take out crappy fishing on the lake. I don't think so but any thoughts? Thanks

ahicks

Captain
When talking a small boat on a big lake like that, you have to consider wind and weather in your plans. I'm sure you'll be fine a lot of the time, but I'm just as sure that lake is capable of making things darned uncomfortable, and it won't make any difference if you're in a 16 foot boat, or a 20!

southkogs

Staff member
On a lake like Kentucky Lake there are two things that will challenge a 16' ... one is weather as mentioned above. Don't underestimate the wind and waves we get on the big lakes down here. The overwhelming majority of the time, it won't stop you from being out but weather can make some sticky conditions on our lakes. The second is traffic. The lakes are big enough to have very large boats (in excess of 60ft - and not just houseboats) carving up the water with big wakes. At the same time, the lakes aren't so big that you're always a long way off from the big boats - and those wakes can be substantial.

Bear those two things in mind, and be safe. Lotsa' 16' boats and smaller out on Kentucky lake - the one you mention is fine.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll add don't forget that KY lake has shallow areas all over the place so watch for the bouy's. There is next to no sand, its all rock even going in/out of the marina's

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There are times that no boat is big enough on any body of water if the weather says so. Check your local wind and weather resources well before and just before heading out. I use Windfinder.com as my easy to understand and reliable wind and weather predictor as well as Cdn and US Marine weather services which is available on line as well a VHF radio.

I have done plenty of crappy fishing.

southkogs

Staff member
I'll add don't forget that KY lake has shallow areas all over the place so watch for the bouy's. There is next to no sand, its all rock even going in/out of the marina's
^^^^ Great point AD - - if you're not used to these lakes, they can reach up and getcha'. Watch the bouys, best to have someone who knows where they're going along and I've been real pleased with the Navionics works on these lakes.

I have done plenty of crappy fishing.
:lol: Ditto!