2000 20ft Bayliner holes drilled in hull

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at clean 2000 Bayliner 2050 with a 4.3L Mecruiser 210HP. The boat was maintained fairly well, solid floors, original seats with no tears(Captains seats with large bench seat in back. All seating is in good shape. However, someone installed a reinforcement plate to the floor under drivers seat and screwed it into the floor but when doing so on the right/starboard side the screws came through the hull. They protrude abou 1/4'' to 1/2'. They left it that way and it looks like they used GE Silicone or 3M 5200 to make the screws watertight. It's just above the waterline. Im thinking I could cut the screws off flush with the hull and cover it with white 3M 5200 and all should look and be OK. It's a white hull, so white 5200 wouldnt show much. Advice needed here though.....Did they compromise the integrity/strength of the hull in anyway by drilling though it and installing these screws? Should I remove the screws and just seal the holes with 3M 5200 and not worry about securing that side of the reinforcement plate if the other 3 sides are already screwed in to floor? Any other thoughts? THANKS

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldnt trust a boat or seller w a steel plate screwed to the deck(floor) and screws thru the hull....

If you can see this and they gooped up the screw holes (to fix it ???), what else did they fix you cant see........

And a steel plate isnt usually screwed down to cover a "solid" deck (floor)

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you think you started a topic in the wrong sub-forum, flag your initial post in a topic or PM any Mod and ask it to be moved.

Deleted the duplicate topic you started in the Resto forum.

Until you buy a project boat or need help fixing a problem, here is as good as the resto forum to get answers about this Bayliner

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds real redneck to me . . . go look at some of the other bazillion boats that are for sale.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I wouldnt trust a boat or seller w a steel plate screwed to the deck(floor) and screws thru the hull....

If you can see this and they gooped up the screw holes (to fix it ???), what else did they fix you cant see........

And a steel plate isnt usually screwed down to cover a "solid" deck (floor)

As above X 100. I have to question what else the guy did. Many can clean and maintain appearances well and never change the oil and filter on their cars. Man they are basically giving away big old glass boats around where we live for the price of the trailer. We actually saw one the other day and the guy had a sign " Buy Trailer, Free Boat."

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No one does that unless the deck is getting soft.
​Most mass market boats (ie built cheaply) are reaching the point where rot has started and is spreading by the age of that boat. You'd be far better off to keep saving money and get something in the range of 3-5 years old. Used but not used-up, lol....