Not all of us live where we can boat year round

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Because of Global Weather Change or whatever we call it today we have Palm trees growing in southern Ontario now. The Lower Niagara River never freezes, just your skin.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I posted the same thing on facetube about a week ago

RGrew176

Commander
Summer is the time for fun. I've spent over 8K so far this season on my boat. With November just ahead I now have 5 months to save up for next season. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. A season to spend and a season to save.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Even though we live in northeastern Florida, the so-called "Florida winter" in our area can get fairly cold. Been living here since January 2009 and have seen daytime high temps of 45 degrees, with overnight lows in the mid-to-upper 20's. When we thought about moving here, we had no idea it could get that cold here. Some mornings even have to use our ice scrapper, bought when we lived in Colorado, to scrap off frost from vehicle windshield.

​Before getting a new block put in, we'd start the boat up a couple times a month during the Florida "cold season" and it was fine. Now that we have that new block, we either do the minimal, which is drain each side of the block or have the boat winterized.

​Many people here say "winterizing a boat in Florida is a waste of time and money". We, along with our marine mechanic, don't think so. Being safe is better than being sorry and ruining the engine.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never stop boating. Sometimes in the winter I fly to Fort Lauderdale and get on Royal Caribbean.