Outboard hour meter

Hondaboi

Cadet
Hello guys,

Just bought my first boat. It's a 1987 sunray cavalier 15.5' with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp triple cylinder.

I am looking to install a hour meter to keep track of my hours on the boat. I would like to do a digital dash mount so I can monitor my RPMs while running. Looking for input on meters that have a long induction wire to run from the engine to the dash. And ones that have worked well for you guys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tpenfield

Staff member
You will probably have to add some wire to the RPM sensor, but here is a Searon SRT-18R (IP 68 'water resistant') tach/hour meter. I installed a similar unit on my snowblower, and the same sort of thing should work on an outboard engine. You will have to adjust the settings for 2-cycle engine, etc.

http://www.searon-tech.com/product_view.asp?id=80

Hondaboi

Cadet
Where would I be able to buy induction wire for this? I have been scowering the internet with no luck.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tiny Tach and other brands let you choose a length other than their standard which is 10' I think.

The wire is shielded, think coax, except for the part wrapped around the plug wire. Using the wrong type of wire to extend the lead will give flaky readings.

tpenfield

Staff member
The Searon unit that I have on my snow blower just has a simple wire (24 GA) for the ignition sensing 9not shielded). Granted it is only about 3 feet of distance from the engine to the handle bars. A boat installation may benefit from a shielded length of cable to avoid interference with other electronics, but any thin wire should work.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There are a bunch of after market hour meters that do not need a connection to the engine. They are very simple electric clock mechanisms calibrated for continuous hour readings. They require only +12 volts, ground, and a connection for the internal light if it has one. Power is obtained from the "A" terminal of the ignition switch on outboards and the RUN position for I/O and inboards.. As long as the key is on the hour meter runs and they can be used on either outboards or I/O's and inboards. You eliminate long runs of wire back to the engine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most boat hour meters run on the 12 volt ignition. Hence the reason they add hours if you leave the key on

Hondaboi

Cadet
Most boat hour meters run on the 12 volt ignition. Hence the reason they add hours if you leave the key on

are these the aftermarket ones? The ones I am interested in use a induction wire that goes around the plug boot a couple times. I have seen ones that use a 12V connection but those have only been to run the back light.

I may just get a cheap tiny tach and place it inside the motor cowling. I haven't found a good option to run the tech to the dash to read while 'm driving.

I was mostly interested in the RPM portion of it since I do not have a tach on my boat dash. thought the hour meter would give me the best of both worlds

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the units like tiny tach, etc. are self-energizing and work ok until they dont. I am refering to the standard hour meter found in many boats or the totalizing hour meter/tach found in many boats