Infrared Camera Inspection of Boat Hull . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
I have my boat out of the water and up on blocks/stands for the winter. While the nights are cool, but the days are still fairly warm, I took this opportunity to do an 'inspection' of the hull of my boat with my FLIR One IR Camera.

Here are a few photos

#1)
PUOW5322.jpg

This was a 'cold' area in the bow. It turned out that the water tank compartment was actually full of water (surrounding the tank) :eek: I took care of it with a wet vac.

#2)
NZNS6132.jpg

This is the mid-cabin area, and I was a bit surprised by the 'cold' square area. The area just below it is the mid-cabin 'mini-bilge' that is right at the bulkhead. there happened to be a little bit of standing water, as the drain is up an inch or so from the keel. The really dark are seems to be just under the head compartment and in an area where the shower drain is located. I have not used the shower, but maybe the drain has been leaking in the past. :noidea:

#3)
IZRA2652.jpg

Here is another angle of the mid-cabin area. If I replace the cabin carpet/floor . . . this whole area is probably worth a look.

The rest of the boat seems to be in decent shape. The transom looks good. . .

4#)
FCZG0578.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your IR camera looks like it's worth it's weight, Ted.

Why are your arms and hands holding up the transom? :rolleyes:

tedshands.PNG

TnT cylinders and hoses look like arms and fingers. LOL

tpenfield

Staff member
If only my arms could hold up the transom :D . . . I'd be wicked strong :D

tpenfield

Staff member
The more that I am looking at this picture, the more I am thinking I should check out the stringer(s) in the forward part of the boat. This would be along the starboard side under and just in front of the head compartment.

ForwardStructure1.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Can it see through clothes?
kind off....:).
Our booth at the fishing expo last year was next the local FLIR distributor.

They work great separating the ?naturals? from silicon..:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fed

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Well that's a first. Interesting to say the least. Are you looking for problems Ted ? A great way to find waterlogged foam in an aluminum or glass rig if you shoot it just out of water.

tpenfield

Staff member
Well that's a first. Interesting to say the least. Are you looking for problems Ted ? A great way to find waterlogged foam in an aluminum or glass rig if you shoot it just out of water.

:) usually the problems come looking for me . . . :D

Any kind of situation . . . just pulled out of the water, or a cold night, followed by warming day temperatures is a good time to 'check' things with an IR camera, as the wet areas within the hull stay cold . . . longer.

I suppose it could work the other way as well . . . hot day, followed by cool night would get the reverse situation. . . if you don't mind traipsing around in the dark to 'shoot' the pictures.