bought another boat, cabin window leaks... options??

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
so i just picked up a 1998 wellcraft 240se. boat is really clean for the most part. on the port side of the boat, the small cabin window towards the front leaks. can i just pull it out and use some silicone sealer or is there gaskets for these? also are these all generally the same size on all boats? as in would it be easy to find replacements or should i lose that idea

oddly enough the one that looks ****ty on the outside is sealed, its the one in front of it that is leaking into the boat
https://i.imgur.com/7uR4f7ml.jpg
7uR4f7ml.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I've had varied success with removing and resealing. Amazing how much boats flex in different weather and even depending on wether it's on a trailer or in the water.
I'd try sikaflex or CT-1 first. And a tidy job required too.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
+1 for sikaflex. You remove the window, clean it all up completely, and reseal. Usually I get new hardware while I'm at it.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I removed and re-sealed the windows on my Wellcraft using marine sealer. I use the same approach whenever I have to seal something up. Remove the original window / hatch etc. Clean up everything. Then lay down masking tape around the opening, overlapping the open edge. Then dry fit the window and Mark it's outline onto the tape. Trim off the excess tape on the inside , that Is, the tape that would be actually under the window , leaving behind the tape around the outside edge of the window.
Then remove the window and apply the sealant to the boat , just inside the edge of the tape. Fit the window and the excess sealant squeezes out , onto the tape , not the boat !
Let the sealant dry off and then trim around the window with a sharp knife , but gently , just to cut through the sealant. Then peel off the tape , which removes the excess sealant. No sticky mess to clean off the boat ! Always works for me.