4Winns Liberator.... What Model?

trkr75

Seaman Apprentice
So I bought this liberator a few years ago with the intent of restoring it when I got some money. My original plan was a 3-4 year ordeal doing the engine one year the bottom up to the water line the next and so on. Well 3-4 years has turned into 1.5 years. I am getting into the final stretch this winter and am trying to find out some more infor about the boat. I know it is a 1985 Liberator but am unsure of the model. I have the HIN but am unsure if that is enough to decode the model number.
4WNMB039K485 - 1st three letters = 4winns last 4 = certification date: November 4th and model year 1985. So the question is what do the middle 5 mean? MB039. Any thoughts or suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure what you mean by 'model' . . . Four Winns is the brand . . . Isn't "Liberator" the model :noidea: . . . are you looking for a size range as the model?

The 'serial digits in the HIN are not always decode-able into much.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Uhhhhh, they only made two Libby's in 1985. 201 and 260. Should be pretty easy to tell what you have.
Single engine about 21ft LOA = 201
Twin engines about 26ft. LOA = 260

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what does your title say it is? if you do not have a title, you have a yard planter model

trkr75

Seaman Apprentice
Correct I was looking for the length, It is a 201, I have a title, just in a safe I forgot the combo to..lol I am hoping that the combo will come to me some day but will probably end up getting a locksmith to get it open. Thanks for the help.

Ken

southkogs

Staff member
Not everywhere titles boats...they don't in Kansas.
Yeah, butcha' prob'ly register 'em ... like here in Tennessee. Scott's point being the legal paperwork is a good starting point - and make sure you have it in order before you put too much into the boat.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, butcha' prob'ly register 'em ... like here in Tennessee. Scott's point being the legal paperwork is a good starting point - and make sure you have it in order before you put too much into the boat.

Sure, but all it takes is a bill of sale. Half of the watercraft I have owned have been registered with handwritten BOS's on notebook paper. Different states may obviously vary, but that blanket statement was a bit extreme.

southkogs

Staff member
Sure, but all it takes is a bill of sale. Half of the watercraft I have owned have been registered with handwritten BOS's on notebook paper. Different states may obviously vary, but that blanket statement was a bit extreme.
Yeah, butcha' prob'ly need an ID number on the BOS when ya' register 'em ... like here in Tennessee. Scott's point being the legal paperwork is a good starting point ... *ibid*