Fuel Tank fittings

Prarie Guy

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I am currently refurbishing an 18 ft. StarCraft SS as part of the process I am going to have a custom aluminum tank fabricated. From what I have read galvanic corrosion can be an issue and I was considering using nylon bushings between the tank and fittings to protect against this. Has anyone gone this route is there a reason why I shouldn't?

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Ya won't get corrosion usin' aluminum, 'n brass fittin's together,....

I'd fear a plastic fittin' rottin' out, 'n dumpin' the gas into the bilge,...

alldodge

Staff member
The corrosion with aluminum comes from them not being grounded. You want the tank grounded so there will be NO static electricity build up, that stuff will make a bang. Ground it to the main buss and if shore power is used it needs to have a galvanic isolator installed.

Next think the happens to aluminum tanks is if water gets between tank and any foam. If tank is below deck and foamed in, so long as water does get in, your good. If tank is installed in open air there will be no issue

Prarie Guy

Seaman Apprentice
The problem with aluminum to brass is that there will be a lot of corrosion (galvanic) if they are exposed to deoxygenated water. My concern is whether there would be any exposure to this on the interior of the fuel tank. If you have seen these fittings used together for extended periods of time without a problem then I would consider it a non issue.

Gary