Some water in bilge after runing pump

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 1989 182se Celebrity bow rider. Had it out for the first time for 3 hours on Sunday. During retrieval the bilge pump kicked out some water. Maybe a quart. Don?t really know. Once I got it home and looked in the bilge I noticed maybe an half an inch of water in the deep V. Not much but some. Not more than an inch or so wide. I ran the bilge pump again but nothing. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
After 3 hours of running you shouldn't have any water in the boat, but not being able to pump out the last inch or so would be normal

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I agree. Pumps never seem to get the last bit of water out. I am wondering why you had water after such a short time out? Do you know where it came from?

tpenfield

Staff member
As the others have said, you want to figure out the source of the leak. The bilge pump has no way of getting all of the water out, that is why there is a drain plug.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do you begin to look for the location of a leak? I assume a process of elimination but after examining the hull for any obvious damage what do you look for? It is a stern drive so I can check for any obvious cracks in the boot or other fittings. Any tricks?

tpenfield

Staff member
You can run the engine on the muffs with the drain plug out . . . if you have water coming out of the drain plug, it would be the engine as the suspect.

If that does not pan out . . .

Put the boat in the water (avec drain plug) and look for leaks in the engine compartment, transom, etc.

if that does not pan out . . .

Leave the boat on land with the drain plug out and bow tilted up . . . are you getting water draining out at a constant but slow rate? That may indicate water trapped in the structure of the boat.

See where that leads you and update as you find things.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I suspect it's nothing to worry about. As others have said, the bilge pump won't get that last inch or so out. You may have had water condense on the walls and ceiling of the bilge, and after running the boat around, that water trailed down into the bottom of the bilge. The bilge is always a damp area, even in your driveway. My boat has a self-bailing deck. So any rain water is supposed to drain out the scuppers and not into the bilge. My boat's on a lift,so the bilge should always be dry. It's not, even with the plug out, there's often an inch of water in there (at the stern with the bow raised a bit) Water sneaks in there anyway, or condenses off the walls, or spray running through waves.

Your boat is sitting in water that's colder than the ambient air, so condensation will build up on the walls and ceiling of your bilge. Like a cold beer bottle on a hot day.

And of course during retrieval if there's ANY water in the bilge it will be tipped back to stern and kicked out by the pump. A quart or so is nothing.

If you're still worried and looking for a leak, while the boat's on your trailer stick a garden hose in the bilge and fill it up a foot or two. Then look for any leaks in your transom or bellows area coming from inside the boat to outside. I'll bet you find nothing.

I would not be concerned in the slightest about the amount of water you are talking about. Water that's colder than the air equals condensation in the bilge. I would consider a quart dispersed by the bilge pump, and a 1 inch strip of water at the deep V to be a dry bilge.

Of course frankthomas, it would help if it mentioned where you're from in your profile. If you're in Michigan, that's beercan-type condensation water. If you're in the Florida Keys, it's likely to be from the recent hurricane. Or if in Maryland, like me, it's the accumulation of seagull poop.

Last edited:

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will update my profile. And how?d you guess, I?m in Michigan. Not much boating left up here. And thanks for the input from everyone. I will expect the worst and hope for the best and try the various leak test described.

mr 88

Commander
If you have a Mercruiser out drive your shift cable bellows or drive shaft bellows may be have a small crack/tear in one of them. That would allow a small amount of water into the hull.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I took the drain plug out to drain the last bit of water. Should I use something like Teflon pipe thread tape when reinstalling? Looks like the remnants of some on there.

Attachments

• photo279094.jpg
    photo279094.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
That is a self sealing tapered plug that should seal tight with no Teflon tape. DO YOU HAVE A MERCRUISER OUT DRIVE ? If so please read my reply above. If you have a outboard then disregard.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
When I bought my current aluminum 10 years ago it sat in the driveway with the plug in and water ran out when I pulled the plug. I freaked when I saw water run out when I pulled the plug. It was condensation during hot humid days and my mooring cover let water into the battery compartment and my kicker was kicking water into the battery well too which leaked into the bilge. I didn't know to pull the plug when putting her on the trailer then. I searched for water for 2 months when in and out of water. Drove me nuts. No leaks.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
88, yes I have an I/0. I appreciate the comments. I?ll be taking it in for winterizing soon and I?ll have the marina check out the bellows.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
JDlough said " If you're still worried and looking for a leak, while the boat's on your trailer stick a garden hose in the bilge and fill it up a foot or two. Then look for any leaks in your transom or bellows area coming from inside the boat to outside. I'll bet you find nothing."

It is not recommended you ever fill your boat with water while on the trailer for many reasons. With the trailer tipped up at the front a few inches of water in the bilge at the lower transom shouldn't cause problems but never the entire boat, especially a foot or two. Glass or aluminum, if there wasn't a crack it's a good way to get one, My opinion only. Beware of free advise on the internet or elsewhere.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It doesn't help that I live in Scotland, but my bowrider leaks like a sieve in the rain. Always water getting to the bilge. As it is, the heavy V8 naturally has the boat sitting stern heavy and all the water ingress finds its way aft and to the bilge.
If you have the boat stored out the water and have the trailer and boat level...water can gather in nooks and crannies like ski locker, under seats etc.
It might not find its way aft to the bilge until in the water and under way.
Just a thought.