Newbie- learning all there is to know before getting first boat

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Kay-Cookie, how are you with snakes? We always said we would spend the night in our boat, 19.5' StarCraft with a full camper top. That was until I saw a huge snake slither it's way up a transom and into a boat parked next to our slip. A few days latter I take the mooring cover off our boat only to find about 5 or more snakes nesting in the bow. No overnighters on a boat for us after that.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
You are in for a world of hurt. That type of boat is called a bubble boat. It's made for pure looks and for injuries when you step on the sloped wet bow to tie off. The construction is plastic and fiberglass matt over untreated thin cheap plywood. As probably said in this thread that construction lasts 20 years then it biodegrades. I can't bear to look at it long enough but if it was an outdrive contraption then prepair for a lot of maintnence costs. Stick to your plan and go with outboard on a first boat. You only said freinds, enjoy and explore. What are you really going to do? Drink a few beers and cruise around? Pull kids on tubes or explore? I've got 3000 post on the expedition portal site for explorers and can tell you those are not a boats for an explorer. I need to run hundreds of miles sipping fuel. I need to be able to run it up on beaches or rocks to explore. I need a boat freindly to muddy dogs and drift wood collecting. Those carpet and vynil plastic boats don't hold up. My dad had a Wellcraft, then a 26' sea Ray, a big Regal and finally got away from all that vynal and bought a big Boston Whaler. Still biodegradable plastic and glass but much more durable. I gave up fiberglass bling boats with outdrives decades ago and have never looked back. Think simple design like for fishing with stand up room and a boat you can beach. I only buy aluminum boats for exploring because they go hundreds of miles with little fuel, are tuff as nails and last twice as long. They can be towed with a car and work on the water like a pickup truck. If you want to sit on a couch and sip a drink with freinds 5 miles from the dock then yea get a bubble boat. What do you really want to do and where do you want to boat? This is my 18' I'm fooling with now and I absolutely love it! I put at least 1000 miles on it this year. $3600.

2jezio8.jpg

kay.cookie

Cadet
Kay-Cookie, how are you with snakes? We always said we would spend the night in our boat, 19.5' StarCraft with a full camper top. That was until I saw a huge snake slither it's way up a transom and into a boat parked next to our slip. A few days latter I take the mooring cover off our boat only to find about 5 or more snakes nesting in the bow. No overnighters on a boat for us after that.

Yikes! I never thought about that. My parents used to camp out on a large lake and never had that problem.

kay.cookie

Cadet
You didn't mention your locale, so I won't comment on the price since that's a regional thing.
What I would suggest on top of the great advice here is to take your prospective purchase to a shop BEFORE you buy it.
A couple hours of a mechanic's time is cheap peace of mind.

I just had a Trophy come in that the new owners got a screaming deal on. I called them an hour later to tell them they were down a cylinder, the transom was punky and the walking beam on the trailer was cracked right through at the pivot. I just had a chance to buy a (late-80s?)19' Wellcraft center console...till I crawled around and saw how badly everything was bojangled together. It looked great from the outside but the first problem would turn it from a running boat into a project because of everything that would need to be fixed before you could get to whatever failed.

Anytime I hear about someone getting a 'great deal' on a used boat, I cringe because it makes me wonder what gremlin they missed and when it will rear its head....

When the 'right' boat pops up, don't hesitate. You'll never be the only one looking at it.

I'm located in Maine- specifically southern Maine, if that changes anything.
I think it's possible to find a good deal with minimal project work- it's just finding it and knowing what to look for that's the issue. If we were to have a mechanic look at it, how would we go about that before buying it? My boyfriend has a large pickup truck so we can haul a boat all day- but I don't think anyone trying to sell their boat would be comfortable letting us drive it over to a mechanic without buying first. Would we pay the mechanic to come look at it on-site? Or ask the seller to bring it to a mechanic? It probably seems like a dumb question but this is all new to me.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
What you need is a boat surveyor that comes to the boat or tell a marine mechanic that you are going to bring him a boat to be surveyed. If the seller has a problem with either then run.

kay.cookie

Cadet
What you need is a boat surveyor that comes to the boat or tell a marine mechanic that you are going to bring him a boat to be surveyed. If the seller has a problem with either then run.
How expensive are boat surveyors, typically? Or does it just depend?

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Before spending money on a surveyor then look for any soft spots in the floor or decks. That's the sign that major rot is under it. Walk on every deck and floor area. Look where the engine bolts to the hull. You are looking at biodegradable boats. If any part is slightly degraded then the rest is soon to follow. Let your boy freind listen to it start on the trailer with a garden hose and shift it in gear. If y'all like what you see then large yacht surveys are priced by the foot. A local mechanic that you bring the boat too should be able to give you a quote over the phone. Google marine surveyors and call a local shops in the area the boat is being sold in. The boat you picked was pretty good looking for a bubble boat. Again bubble boats and fiberglass over wood boats with an outdrive are iffy so pay the pro to tell you the true condition. Boat problems are hard to spot by just looking at how clean it is so yea paying a pro will be a bargain in the long run. Ask how much to service the outdrive will cost. They are expensive and need to be broken down every two years. Outboard don't even need to be winterized so you can use them on nice warm winter or early spring days. Find an outboard. There was a few nice ones on that NH craigslist. What other craigslists are near you and tell us what you will really think you will do with the boat.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We see surveyors come in primarily for insurance. They typically want to see the boat out of the water, don't run the engines, and I've never had one ask to actually sea trial the boat. Different shops will look at different things in an inspection based on local experience but they'll all hit the basics and will take the boat out for a run. If a problem is going to come up, you aren't likely to see it running on muffs and you aren't likely to pick up on it yourself.

Let your fingers do the walking and talk to marinas and shops in your area. Shops will have service records for every time they've seen the boat and, if the seller is ok with it, they'll share those with you. This is helpful because people ALWAYS overestimate service intervals - they might think they did the water pump 'sometime last year' but the records show it's been four years and it's due again. Generally, the mechanical inspection will give you an overall opinion and more importantly will tell you what needs to be done right away, what can wait a while, and what isn't a problem yet but might become one.

And yeah, if the seller doesn't want his boat going to 'your' mechanic, run away.
If the seller doesn't want to run the boat (regardless of the reason he gives you), say goodbye.

...are expensive and need to be broken down every two years.
By outdrive I take it you mean stern drive specifically and I'm curious why they need to be 'taken down' every two years ?
Alphas have the water pump in the drive that needs an impeller every 3-4 years (just like an outboard), but I'm not aware of any manufacturers that recommend that interval, though I've certainly been wrong before.

Regardless of whether you get a survey or an inspection, it's not a guarantee of no issues.
It's just peace of mind that there's nothing major that a trained eye and diagnostic equipment picked up.
If your oil pump packs it in a month after you buy it despite all your due diligence, that's a chance we all take buying used boats.

If I could give one suggestion to everyone looking at their first boat it would be to remember that, regardless of how detached and business like you think you can be, the fact that you're looking at the boat in person means that it's already gotten its hooks into you...and the seller can smell that.
Always be looking for an excuse to walk away.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I think it's possible to find a good deal with minimal project work- it's just finding it and knowing what to look for that's the issue.

Yes it is possible, but with a $6000.00 budget it isn't probable. I strongly suggest you get into the market with a much smaller boat, baby steps, baby steps.

You need to read the sticky at the top of this forum page that is a great help as to what to look for in a used boat. You will minimally want the owner to run the boat in the driveway on a garden hose. Engage the tranny in forward and reverse. At a minimum as well each cylinder must be pressure tested regardless of outboard or inboard/outboard (I/O). If an outboard check the lower end gear lube for milky oil which says there is a leak in the engine somewhere. I would not buy a boat where the owner comes up with any excuse not to splash the boat and go for a run. Would you buy a car without at least going around the block? I didn't think so, why not do the same buying boat? It's a little too late to find out that you don't like how a boat handles, or you just don't like it once it's yours, too big, too small, too noisy and or you can't see over the helm. That happens. If a seller refuses to do any of the above, especially an on the water test run, you run, as fast as possible, you run away.

The "plastic living room tub glass barge" vs, the "practical but maybe ugly aluminum tin can" will always bring on, and sometimes heated discussion. It's the 4X4 V8 pickup truck vs. the beautiful interior and exterior lines of an all wheel drive SUV.

As far as finding a surveyor it's all about location. We live on Lake Erie and basically smack dab in the middle of the Great Lakes. We have surveyors but they wouldn't consider looking at a boat smaller than 28'. And they don't make house calls. If I were selling I would be more than happy to take it off the market and tow it to a surveyor within a reasonable distance. That is if the buyer is willing to give a good size "non" refundable deposit.

To be totally honest with you the boat you are looking for does not exist for 6 grand. Either your budget goes up or the boat for 6K goes down in size. I have to ask, do you have a vehicle that will tow a Cuddy up to 23' without damaging the vehicle? Many trucks that give the towing capacity doesn't tell you the strain put on the vehicle at max. capacity. The other thing is trailering vs. having it a Marina in the water. A huge difference in both accessibility and the physical effort and time needed to get her in and out of the water without banging the Bejeezus out of the shinny hull.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Have you ever "camped" or overnighted in a boat?

It truly is an experience to avoid in a boat that size, in my opinion.

Its crowded, no head room, cluttered. Coolers, food, cooking....
Its either hot - but you have to have the boat closed up because of the bugs; or its cool and damp and you have no furnace.

Been there, done that.

Better off with a bow rider and take it to a beach or campground and pitch a tent.

Personally, I think the $6,000 price point puts you in bowrider territory.
And as said above, preferably aluminum.
Aluminum is lighter, so you can get by with a smaller outboard, which uses less gas, more forgiving, no rotten stringers, etc.

Remember, the trailer is just as important and expensive as the boat.
You could easily stick $600 - $1000 into a trailer to get it back in shape.
brakes, tires, bearings, axles, lights, brake actuator......

You can get some really nice boats for $6000 total, but not a 25' cruiser in my opinion.

Minimal service and maintenance on a bigger boat will be 5 times more than you imagine, and thats if nothing is broken.
Pretty common to take one in and get a $1500, then add on your survey costs, and safety equipment, insurance, etc, and you better have another $2500 to add to the $6000.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I agree. It does look pretty good for a 24 yr old boat. At 20' the motor may have enough HP to move it along pretty good. One photo does show it on plane, but no idea how many people are in it at that time. I would look at it and take it out on the water for at least 20 minutes. Run it through various speeds and see how it acts.

roffey

Commander
A couple of thing I noticed, in the ad it reports it has been meticulously cared for and has a bravo one drive. That boat has a alpha one drive for sure and makes me question the seller but the boat does look clean. Those boats are day boats for sure and sea ray is a good quality boat. Pull up to the beach have a few cold beverages and relax for the day. The motor is a 4.3 basically the same motor I have in my boat, lots of horse power or at least for me. My motor is 190 hp and I think that motor is 170 hp, I can pull skiers, tubes and load my boat up with 5 adults and grandkids and still get on plane. With two in the boat we can hit 50 plus (54.5) on the GPS.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Did you buy a boat Kay? I am dying to know, not actually just curious. Many people here have taken their time to lead you in the right direction and now you have left us hanging. What's up? Curious minds want to know.( balance deleted.)

leakytarp

Cadet
All great advice, one more different approach I would like to mention that has not been brought up yet: when I bought my 19' bowrider fo $8k 3 seasons ago I had absolutely no clue what to look for. So far there have been no issues, super happy with my purchase (every time I thought there was turned out to be nothing or something minimal). So maybe I lucked out but the approach I took, knowing nothing about boats, was to not look so much at the boat but mainly at the owner / seller. Does he seem like an honest guy not trying to rip me off? That elimated all the dealers where I looked at boats. Then, does he seem to know what he is doing / be knowledgeable about boat? That elimated the persons who may have neglected theirs in the winter. Why are they selling? Does it sound plausible? Etc. And then just trust my gut. Must have looked at 15-20 boats before I took the leap / found a seller that I trusted enough to buy untested (just started engine on muffs).

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
The previous photo is my liberator I picked up for $4k great boat a lot to do with a good boat is the manufacturer sorry to any but I’d never own a Bayliner ever ever ever. Stay away from an omc out drive hard to get parts for. And definitely check out some do’s and dont’s at the ramp. I haul us 2 and 3-4 kids in our boat regularly and is perfect. A pontoon is quite versatile as well and that’s what we were looking at getting except I like a little speed with my water.

Great Advice everyone! Scared the pants off me!! I just found my dream project Sea Ray Signature 170 BR for $3300 after watching Craigslist everyday for two months. Is it perfect? Heck No. I already have a list of minor projects as long as my arm, and who knows what evil lurks?
But they're all minor, right? LOL The parts I need have already started arriving in the mail. Genuine MerCruiser! I was almost paralyzed for awhile, though, after reading too many boat forums about the horrors of fiberglass boats and outdrives.. Finally just jumped in with both feet on a slippery deck, went with the boat I lusted for in the 90's. Sometimes, a little ignorance can be a fine thing, I'm ready to accept whatever comes, because, hey, I got a bargain.....right?