Need advice on choosing between a Sea Hunt and a Key West DC boat

Jonboat2Bassboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Based on advice here I am looking at Sea Hunt and Key West dual console boats for cruising around the more or less protected waters between the many peninsulas in Maine. I like that they are deep V fiberglass boats that are made for salt water. The models I am looking at are all 21 to 23 feet with a single 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke outboard and forward seating that can carry 4 to 6 people comfortably. Comfort is key, need a boat for cruising down a tidal and brackish water river that empties into the ocean and going to a nearby coastal restaurant or landing on a near shore island to go hiking. Need a boat that can handle 2 to 3 foot seas well and the occasional 4 foot sea and still give a comfortable ride. Price range is $15,000 to $25,000 with a year range of 2000 to 2017.

The make and models I am looking at in order of preference, including dead rise, are;

Sea Hunt Escape 211 LE (dead rise 50/20/16 and the Escape 235 SE (dead rise 55/22/18)

Key West model is;
239 DFS (dead rise 24/19)

What I like about both the Sea Hunt and Key West boats is they both include a full rear bench seat, great for bringing guests. The Sea Hunt models have greater dead rise (50 / 55 respectively) than the Key West (24) but I don?t know how much of an advantage an increased dead rise is. What is the advantage and drawbacks of having a dead rise of 50 over a boat that only has a dead rise of 24?

I do know that common bowriders are not as sea worthy due to their lower bows that are made for beaching, are more susceptible to taking on water and have a lower dead rise of about 19.

Any comments much appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
You can't go wrong with either choice. I do like the Key West a bit better since it is bigger. The Sea Hunt Escape 235 is a better comparison to the Key West model since they are similar size. 20 feet of boat sounds pretty big, until you put it in the water, get some people aboard, and then say " oh . . . not as big as I thought". You might add the Sea Hunt 235 to your short list.

The final choice will depend on which one you can find in your area and get the best deal on, etc. Since you are buying used, the condition of the particular boats that you find for sale will be very important. The best time to buy is now . . . prices will be less flexible in the spring, when folks are looking to get back on the water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Any of those boats with a 150 on the back is going to be a dog. No where enough hp when push comes to shove

None of these boats will be comfortable in 3-4 ft. Seas

Comparing the deadrise of the Sea Hunt to the Key West is hard, if not impossible as written. To be truthful, the first time I?ve seen the deadrise at bow, midship and transom expressed in that manner, and a bit deceiving at that. Historically, only the deadrise at the transom is listed.

To answer your deadrise question, a boat with a 50 degree bow typically handles rough water much better but with some less than desirable tendencies in certain sea conditions. The hull on my Grady is famous for its soft ride but the aggressive design of the bow causes the boat to ?bow slide? at times in quarter seas. Pretty unnerving the first time it happens. The trade off for the ride.

Last edited:

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good Afternoon.

There will a huge difference in your deadrise. The number you give for the sea hunt tells you the you have a 55Degree entry 22 Degree midship and 18 degree stern or transom. VS 24 entry/midship 19 stern for the Key West. I have had all kinds of boat from 17 feet to my new 2017 Sea Hunt Ultra 211. the Sea hunt takes the cake for salt water capability and comfort with the ride. even the older models have the same deadrise stats. The ultra models are 21 feet and offer lots of amenities for cruising and having friends and family onboard. 4 people would be very comfortable. center console for a portapotty if you want. seating stern and on the bow. Now back to the 55 degree deadrise, it cuts through waves like butter. If you have not seen the flare of a sea hunt you need to go put hands on and compare to other boats. it is the driest boat I have ever been in. Better than Proline, contender, and other high priced boats. I am so glad I purchased mine. Trim tabs will make it drive almost like a car. It is very stable I can have mutable people on one side of the boat even in waves and the high gunnels makes it very safe. This is just my opinion so take it at that. I just suggest you get out and get en eyeball on a Sea hunt at your local dealer. They do keep used ones in stock now that the season is coming to an end. Good luck and I hope I helped.