Recommendations on trailerable cruiser

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Been a while since I actually posted. In the market for a used dual engine cruiser that can be trailered. Sundancer 280 comes to mind. Birth in front and aft is a must. Tow rig is a brand new duramax, and budget is no higher than $70k. Live in the midwest but I travel for deals.

alldodge

Staff member
There are several, as an example of two
280 Sundancer is 8760 lbs and 8'10" beam
27 Formula PC is 9500 lbs and 9'6" beam

Then there is Cruisers, Regal, Rinker and others, how far you traveling

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Loads over 102" (8-1/2") wide require permits in most states

ahicks

Captain
The "must be trailerable" thing. Will this be done every time you use it, or just infrequently, as in twice a year/to and from storage?

ZacUSNYR

Cadet
Regal makes the 28 express that'll fit into your requirement. My budget was smaller and my tow vehicle less capable. Wife and I found a Regal 2665. Honestly it's enough length but I wish we had more beam. (8'6). Which is a sacrifice you make with a trailerable cruiser.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Let me re-phrase and expand on ahicks..... Since even a 70 footer is "trailerable" with the right equipment and permits.....what are you considering "trailerable".

Hooking up to your 1 ton diesel and pulling thru every state is 8.5 ft (102") or less beam. That puts you in the under 28' range

alldodge

Staff member
Pulled mine in KY and TN and had no issues. Most will ignore so long as your under 10 foot

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
mine was right at 10' and never had issues in MO and TN. Bayliner 2550, great boat for the size but your budget is pretty stout.

Your mileage may vary.

ahicks

Captain
That's what I was thinking. I've seen WAY over legal boats pulled frequently. Not sure I'd want to do that every time I wanted to use it though. A quick trip across town on a Sunday morning prior to much traffic (O dark 30) shouldn't attract too much attention though....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
while you may get away with towing over width limit, I dont know anyone being so lucky. in once case, the state trooper in GA looked up the boat specs while following a buddy pulling a 9'-11" wide Wellcraft scarab 35. $3000 fine and a full DOT inspection and couldn't move from the side of the road until he had permits. He did not have a log book either which could have meant being parked for 10. he only received a warning for the log since they got $3k for the over-width

case you need to get a permit. [h=3]Overwidth Permits:[/h] States may grant special use permits to motor vehicles, including manufactured housing, that exceed the Federal 102 inch width limitation.
[h=3]State Oversize/Overweight Load Permit Contacts[/h] To obtain State permits, you will need to contact the State(s) in which you wish to travel. See below for the State permitting web site, or contact the State permitting office by telephone.
[h=3]Canadian Provinces[/h]

boatman37

Lieutenant
My thoughts too. Probably won't get harassed for it but if you do you will wish you followed proper procedure. My next boat will be over width and for certain I will be getting the proper permits if I tow it anywhere.

alldodge

Staff member
You can go on and on about it, and yes it is something you can be fined for, but just look at the beam on your buddys boat 9'11", that is 10 ft any day. Only thing that is 9'6" on my formula is amidships rub rail for about 6 inches each side. Either way check your states and talk to the local cop and state boys.

We should at least stick to the OP's original question and let him worry about the regs

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow thanks for the help guys! Trailering in MN, we have multiple rivers and larger lakes (leech, minnetonka, mille lacs, superior, michigan) Plan on trailering distances of up to 600 miles. Once or twice in the boats life maybe a trip down to Florida from MN. I do understand trailer permit restrictions. Interstate would be here to Chicago likely the most often.