Window Trim

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
​Hi guys. Looking for any information or help in my search for window trim. I'm refurbing a 1990 Wellcraft Sportsman 250 and need to replace the old window trim, as much of the existing trim is either broken or damaged. My online searches led me to Taylormade systems, as I was led to believe that they were the original suppliers to Wellcraft. I emailed them with my query along with some illustrations of the existing trim that I want to replace. They were most helpful and responded the same day with an attachment, showing the trims that I need, and stated that these trims were supplied by a company called "American Marine"

​This company was subsequently taken over by "Aluminium 2000" which in turn became part of "Pompanette".

​I sent the same query to Pompanette and to date am still awaiting a response.

​So, in the meantime I thought I'd put it out here and see if any of you guys are familiar with these trims and where I might source them, especially as all of the above companies are/were based in the U.S. and I'm over here in Ireland where boat parts suppliers are limited and are mostly "main stream".

​I've enclosed a copy of the attachment sent to me by Taylor made and the two trims in question are part numbers 30-1075 and 30-1021. Failing that, perhaps there is some sort of generic aftermarket alternative?

​FWIW I've tried most of the trim suppliers online and I doubt if there are any that I haven't checked out already, but I'm wide open to suggestions. I've also included drawings of how these seals work in my current set up. The locking strip shown in the illustration isn't critical, but would be nice! having said that, I can work around this. Thanks in advance.

PS. Just discovered that the original document from taylormade won't upload, so my drawing will have to suffice for now. Still working on it.
Seals 2.jpg Seals 3.png

Attachments

• 1079_001.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Can't help you with the trim, but I delete the other posts and brought this one to the top of the list.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
No ideas? Hard to imagine the number of boats out there that have been restored without ever having any window trim replaced. Still looking for any leads. Thanks.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
For what it's worth, I got a lead from a poster on another forum which directed me to sales@marineglassspecialties.com who I emailed. An almost immediate response from a very helpful guy named Stewart led to a phone call, which confirmed that they had my seals in stock. They will be ordered in the next day or so and I'm a happy camper. Might be of benefit to others in the same situation.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Google "boat windshield screw cover trim".Found lots of options there.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, further to the above, I will be reverting to plan B. It was suggested to me that the people at Marineglass would be able to help , but that they might be expensive. After a number of emails and transatlantic phone calls to Florida , i finally got confirmation of what was available and the cost. $453 plus shipping , whatever that might have been. In my case this is not justified. There are other things I can spend that much on , other than some strips of moulded plastic.
So , a work around will be embarked upon. Many thanks for the various responses and suggestions.

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, plan "B" which was originally plan "A" is being embarked upon. This was the notion that perhaps window trim that is used on domestic UPVC windows might do the job. So, off I went to my local window and door manufacturers and the boss man brought me outside to have a look see at what he might have available. He had a load of discarded, scrap windows, which were going to be dumped after the glass was removed. He pulled some sample pieces off and suggested I go home and try them out to see if they might work. The trims in question are more complex than the simple trims I need, but with a bit of remodelling I felt confident that they would work. And they do!!

A phone call back to the supplier and he will pull what I need and call me on Monday when it's ready for collection. It's actually better than the original, sturdier and comes with a rubber lip to help sealing. And they're white, which I like as I think they'll make the windows pop a little and match the boat too. And the really good news is the fact that it's all free!! It was going to be dumped anyway, but I'm sure a donation to the Annual Christmas staff party won't go astray.

​I'll post some pics when I resize them, but just wanted to share my happy outcome.