Always in gear.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always in gear.

Hello everyone. I have a 1968 Evinrude 3hp that is direct drive(always in gear). To reverse you just turn the motor around 180 degrees. I plan on putting it on a a 14' aluminum boat. How hard do you think it would be to launch this off of a trailer in small lakes? I'm worried about the boat moving as soon as the engine starts. Thanks.

Do like I do with my '71 Johnson 4,tie it off to the dock ,crank it ,and let it idle on choke till it warms up a little ,then throw off the line and go ! Shouldn't be a problem launching off a trailer,and if you don't have a dock to tie to,nose it against the bank,then spin it around when it warms up.I can't see any problems .
    Last edited by SOG3; September 28th, 2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Those motors aren't exactly powerhouses, so even if you're on the trailer with the motor running, you're not likely to launch yourself into the tailgate.
      Share A Project Page for 1971 GW Invader Banchie 13
      http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,433,00.html
      Share A Project Page for 1976 American 18
      http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html
      Share A Project Page for 1974 American 15
      http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html

Comment

paddle or oars to get away from shore
        Medford, WI

Comment

Sounds like a neat old motor. It should be hanging on a wall not a transom. But is so cool that it is still in use. I would start it while tied off with plenty of slack and let her idle to warm, maybe lift her out of the water once in a while so the torque of that 3 HP doesn't break a line. Yes I jest, you aren't going anywhere until you untie. Go enjoy. I would love to see a pic of that motor.
          Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post
            Sounds like a neat old motor. It should be hanging on a wall not a transom. But is so cool that it is still in use. I would start it while tied off with plenty of slack and let her idle to warm, maybe lift her out of the water once in a while so the torque of that 3 HP doesn't break a line. Yes I jest, you aren't going anywhere until you untie. Go enjoy. I would love to see a pic of that motor.
            Not highjacking,but here's my little 4HP Johnson that is in gear all the time,1971 model and runs like a sewing machine !

Comment

Originally posted by roscoe View Post
              paddle or oars to get away from shore
              That's how we do it. I've got an old Evinrude 3HP - late 50s model. We'd shove off the dock, maybe row out a little extra, and then crank up the outboard.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_270443_1499813187632_202[/ATTACH]

Comment

No offense but Id just put that motor on display somewhere and get a newer modern motor. That is an old motor and I doubt there is much left in it. Sometime it will get you somewhere but will fail to get you back. Its a cool motor but will probably end up being problematic and frustrating, no fun.

Comment

You'll be right san dimas, my first boat was a 265 cubic inch side valve ford motor directly coupled to the prop shaft & that was very exciting to pump the throttle while cranking it over on a cold morning. Just aim it towards some open space when you fire it up.

Comment

I picked up a 1952 Sears Elgin 3 HP that I am going to restore this winter. That will be a wall hanger if I do a good job. There are a few more I have my eye on that a pal has, he's a picker but not a seller.
                    Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Nothing wrong with running a 1968 Evenrude. Quite frankly it is probably more reliable and will still last longer than a new one today. Once you get comfortable with the 'direct drive' aspect and 180 deg reverse it really is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned L View Post
                        Nothing wrong with running a 1968 Evenrude. Quite frankly it is probably more reliable and will still last longer than a new one today. Once you get comfortable with the 'direct drive' aspect and 180 deg reverse it really is easy.
                        ​I agree. Those were great motors and they built a ton of them. Quiet and smooth. As long as the engine itself is basically sound and it has a good impeller, you'll get good service from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprig View Post
                          No offense but I’d just put that motor on display somewhere and get a newer modern motor. That is an old motor and I doubt there is much left in it. Sometime it will get you somewhere but will fail to get you back. It’s a cool motor but will probably end up being problematic and frustrating, no fun.
                          You're clearly not familiar with those "old" Johnrude twins. Some of the best motors ever built and age has no meaning to them. If they're well taken care of, they'll outlast all of us. Most just need basic tune-up stuff to be returned to reliable service.
                          Share A Project Page for 1971 GW Invader Banchie 13
                          http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,433,00.html
                          Share A Project Page for 1976 American 18
                          http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html
                          Share A Project Page for 1974 American 15
                          http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html

Comment

And it doesn't really matter Johnson/Evenrude for that outboard, they were exactly the same except for the color paint and logo).

Comment

I too have one, for what it's worth. Problem is though, I've been storing it for 'some years now' as I don't have a boat anymore that it's worth putting on. It just ain't gonna do much, on a 26' SeaRay, is it?

To keep/to sell,,, to keep/to sell.... ?????

Comment

Working...
                              X