1960 MFG Celeron value

louqueena

Recruit
Hi Boating enthusiasts - Does anyone know the approximate value of a 1960 MFG Celeron Boat? We have a negotiation going on to buy it - seller wanted $1,500, we are posed to pay $1,250. Currently has a 10 hp Mercury motor. Condition is good for a 57 year-old boat, Please advise.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

How does it run on the water and do you have any pics or link to an ad?

In my opinion, that's too much unless it looks and runs like it came off the showroom floor yesterday.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
May not even get on plane.
15 hp was recommended MINIMUM when new.

Now if it was in great condition, and you had a 30hp in your garage to put on it.

It really comes down to 4 things.
Is that the boat you want?
Condition of boat motor and trailer.
Will you be happy with a 12 mph boat?
and are you willing to pay that much?

louqueena

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

How does it run on the water and do you have any pics or link to an ad?

In my opinion, that's too much unless it looks and runs like it came off the showroom floor yesterday.
Thanks!
21951705_1647282485295687_5137801_o.jpg

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
The boat appears to be in VGC. Wood deck on glass hull and transom,should be rot free. You would have to sell the current motor and get enough to buy a period correct 30-40 hp to get it up on plane.The late 50s early 60 Johnson/Evinrudes are dependable great motors and found on Craigslist or antique outboard motor shows. You should need a short shaft for that hull ,I believe its 15"-17" ,from top of transom to bottom of hull on that model Honestly it may be worth pretty close to the 1250 your ready to pay. The trailer is worth 350.00 and the motor around 500-750, depending on year and condition. You may get more info on www.fiberglassics.com either on there main forum or in the Glassic Library, [ which shows the Celeron as last being made in 1959 ] they do have a Classified section where you may find a decent motor. There are not many MFGs around like that model , doesn't mean its worth a lot because of that, but it is still a cool seaworthy boat that also would also show well at a Classic meet.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The plug for the mold that made that hull was an actual Lyman wood boat. Probably the most classic of any boat MFG ever made. The trailer is a classic Holsclaw, which is highly sought after by collectors.

If I had the room to store it in my boathouse I'd run to meet the guy with $1500 cash in hand (provided it comes with all the paperwork and it is truly as good as it looks in the picture).

I'd buy it, play with it like it is for a year or 2, while saving up for a bigger motor. That hull shines with a 25-30 HP 2-stroke.

Last time I saw one they were asking $2500, though it came with a period correct Big Twin (25 'Rude).