Window repair on boat

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

I have an open bow boat (Smoker craft, 1992 Magnum) and I have a windshield going across the boat with the walk thru windshield in the middle. One entire side of my windshield became very loose and there seems to be only one screw thru the bottom along the edge of the hull holding the window in place. The remainder of this window is loose and I can actually lift it up off of the dashboard.

I want to know how far the glass goes down into the bottom frame on the windshield if anyone knows?? The frame is about 1-1/4" from top to bottom, and I would like to drill holes thru this frame to install some aluminum brackets onto the frame inside and outside and screw them down to the dashboard to hold the windshield in place, and I am afraid if I hit the glass while drilling, that it will shatter. What originally held the window down to the dashboard?? Thanks!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We like pictures a lot. There should be an easy way to re-fasten it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
+1 on the pics. There are only so many ways a W/S frame is secured to the hull. Like 2 or 3 ways.

iggyw1

I know a picture or two would be great, but I am just about computer illiterate and I have absolutely no idea of how to post a picture. All I have to take a picture with is my flip phone and then I cannot post it anywhere because I do not not have any internet access on my phone like my computer does. I can only send a picture from my phone to another phone and that is it, sorry. I watched a few videos to help me out. I will give it a try, but thanks any way guys for your input.

I really wish I knew how to post a picture on here and anther places as well for other uses.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
There should be a rubber or plastic strip at the base of the windshield that pulls out exposing the screws that fasten the aluminum frame at the bottom the windshield to the boat.

iggyw1

I did a little looking around at it today. The frame on the window is a flat trim piece, no room for screws of any type. It is about 3/8" thick and stands on ends with the rubber seal and window setting in it. I raised the window and frame a few inches straight up today, and noticed a screw hanging from the bottom of the frame. There is a channel on the underside of the frame which the screw slides into from the end of the frame. The screws can go wherever I want them to be under the frame, I just have to make sure a hole is in place for the screw to go thru the dashboard (aluminum) and a washer and nut goes on from underneath the dashboard. The screws are actually bolts I would say, about 3/16" in dia. X 1-1/2" long. The screw head that is in the channel is not round but oblong in shape, like I may have to grind off two sides of these bolts that I use to make the two sides of it straight to get them to slide into the channel. I sure hope you can get a picture of what I am trying to convey to you with all this babbling going on here! LOL Anyway, thanks for everyones help. I think it will be an easy fix once I remove my glove compartment from under the dashboard in the area beneath the window that is loose.

Will let every one know how I do on it when I have it finished. Will not be for another week or so as my schedule is pretty full for now.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Sounds like you got it figured out. I'd use ss nylock nuts with flat washers to fasten it down underneath. A little dab of sealer in the bolt hole would prevent water from dribbling in in wet conditions.

iggyw1

Look around for something called T-bolts or track bolts.

EDIT: here's an example on ebay, though not listed as either "T" or "track":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-STAINLES...WINNS-screw-/292265851425?hash=item440c66fa21

Wow! You hit the nail right on the head! That is exactly thebolt that is in the channel underneath the window. I thought I would have a problem finding them anywhere, but they may be pretty common. Thanks for posting the pictures so I can see them, and again, they are a perfect match up to what I need. I LOVE this site!!!