Well, I'm Out for the Season

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Driving to NC on Friday to prepare for a 2-week ICW trip on a 42' Grand Banks

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...348-icw-trip-belhaven-nc-to-n-myrtle-beach-sc

I didn't want to take a chance on storms and stuff that might happen while I'm gone. Yesterday, I had Escapade hauled and transported to my driveway for the winter. The shrinkwrap guy is coming on Wednesday. In the meantime I want to unload the boat, winterize the engines, powerwash the hull and scrub the rest. I'll take care of rhe outdrives when I get back. Lots to do. I'm sad my season was so short, but at least I have a new adventure to look forward to. Pretty excited about that.

Hoping the weather will generally be better next season. We (the same group going on the ICW trip) are planning a voyage up the Hudson River for next year, driving our own boats. We did Martha's Vineyard in 2015 and the Mystic and Connecticut rivers in 2016.

My .02

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I to am done for this season, the shortest boatin' season of my life,....

With the stupidly high water this year on Lake Ontario, I didn't launch til the 2nd week of July,....
Normally, I put in, in late April or early May,...
Had knee deep water over the dock til the end of June,...

Then Friday, a week ago, my pos tinbarge sank for the umpteenth time,...
Got it pumped out, towed to the launch, 'n on the wagon last Saturday, to discover the bilge plug had broken,....
Battery charger died, batteries died, boat went down,....
This week, I got everything dried out,....
Saved the motor,...
Saved the drive,...
Trim pump might be saveable, donno yet,...

I'm now officially Done with this pos,.... Gonna strip it, 'n scrap it,..... No more tinbarge for Me,....

ahicks

Captain
Geez, wish I had as good an excuse to pull my boat as a 2 week trip on a 42' boat. Fact of the matter though, is part of pulling our boat project also involves removing the dock and boat lift. Our lake can freeze really hard in a bad winter, which just destroys anything left in it. If not from the freeze damage itself, from the big chunks moving around as it breaks up in the spring. Anyway, the dock and lift removal involve getting in the water. After one too many years freezing my..... well, suffice to say I've learned to get it done before the water gets too cold. A lot of years that can happen as early as Lobor Day. This year our season has been extended due to this prolonged stint of warm weather - but I'm not going to push it. After a ride today, tomorrow the boat goes on blocks for the winter.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Ayuh,.... I to am done for this season, the shortest boatin' season of my life,....

Wow, sorry you had so much trouble this year. Mine was short, too, but the boat ran like a champ when I was able to use it. Replaced one 6 hear old battery in July. Other than that, this was the first season I didn't have a single mechanical or electrical issue. Hope next year goes better for ya.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I am done also. August this year was the coldest I have seen for a long time with rain that came out of nowhere. Now that I am putting away the boat it is 90 (F) degrees outside.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm still "thinking about" one more trip up to Lake Scugog for the season maybe this weekend coming up, then officially done... weather kinda sucked here as well on this end of Lake Ontario, until this weekend of course when it was 30C+ and I had no time to get on the water due to pre-planned events with the family. :(

briangcc

Commander
Already picked up my winterized boat...but for different reasons...

Last Tuesday morning we welcomed yet another shipmate to the clan - Wyatt. Born at 12:04AM 8lbs 5oz, 21" long bouncing baby boy. Momma's on restricted duty so launching the boat was a no-go. Our other boys, 5 & 3, aren't exactly ready yet to help launch either. Earliest I've ever winterized. Just have to empty the boat and rig up a support system for the tarp over the winter months.

southkogs

Staff member
briangcc - Congrats!

Still on the water for another month or so here in TN 'til it gets far too cold for the Admiral. To get back on topic.

Thalasso

Commander
Summer finally got here. My boat won't be out until sometime late next month