Livewell / Baitwell / new boat / Bilge pump question

completetech

Cadet
I recently bought a new fishing boat. A sport fisherman 170 SS center console.

I have what appears to be more of a baitwell then a livewell in the front deck of the boat. It appears to me after looking at this area that there are no pumps whatsoever.

There is a single drain style hole at the bottom of the tank. From there it goes to the side of the boat, with what Sean like it would be substantially below the water line.

So my question is this.

Is there supposed to be a pump??
Is there supposed to be a plug inside the tank to keep water from pouring into the boat?
What determine if the tank is a livewell or a baitwell tank?

Sorry for all of the "basic" questions. I've always had just a small 12ft aluminum Jon Boat with no tanks or anything fancy.. lol.

Thanks,
Nathan

alldodge

Staff member
There is a single drain style hole at the bottom of the tank. From there it goes to the side of the boat, with what Sean like it would be substantially below the water line.

Sounds like a simple live well. I had one with just a hole in the bottom of my John boat growing up. The boat wasn't to fast so there was always water in it. Even if its faster, so long as the hole stays below the water, pressure will keep water in the area, how much may be the only issue. It may also have a tube which gets pushed into the hole prior to running hard, or at least use to. The tube would act like a plug until you get where your going