My first boat and bucket list project...

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone! I took the old rope that was on the anchor tied it to the tree and will hang myself after dinner! WTH...I got boat, motor and trailer for 240 dollars.

I bought mine for $200. Now it's also useful to note that I rebuilt the engine, and stringers,transom and deck. Not to mention the gimble housing assembly. Still working on it actually. Will be working to get the trailer up to speed as well.

Maclin

Admiral
HOA's are funny, fines can add up fast. On this one, the main thing I would wonder about if this is part of a divorce and if the seller could get in trouble down the road and some court get involved.

A car buddy of mine was getting a divorce and had some nice ready to assemble musclecars. I had my eye on one, he said $1500, was worth $6-7k even in pieces, so I made the deal. Turns out he just did not want "her" to get them and sell them all to just anyone. Anyways, "she" caught wind of it and just before I was ready to go get it his whole life fell apart financially as "she" lawyered up and got 'em all anyway. Not sayin' either side was at fault or innocent, never really got the details.

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
Ok moving forward...I ordered new boat cover...The boat cover with the boat was pretty old and when you pulled on it it tore...Used a half a roll of duct tape to keep it together. I had to rig up a system to keep the cover from sagging in the boat. I also stripped the interior of the boat except for the throttle side. I'm not sure how the throttle and cables are routed in there so I will do it when I have time...So far so good! I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I can use a regular car battery to get the motor going for now in the driveway? Then what would be the best battery to purchase once its finished and in the water? I will be back in the boat soon over the weekend but I have some other stuff that takes priority right now. Thanks for all the help! be back soon!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Car battery is fine for the driveway. For regular use, you?ll want a marine starting battery; they are built a bit more ruggedly to handle the bouncing around on the water.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Almost all lead acid car or marine batteries are made by either Exide or Johnson Controls, regardless of the brand. I've grown fond of the Walmart EverStart batteries. Walmart is good about returns/warranties, and you can find one just about anywhere. I just picked up a pair of 1000mca marine cranking batteries (made by Johnson Controls) for $65 each, hard to beat that.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Never look a gift Horse in the mouth I have been told. An old glass barge, look closely, berry berry closely. Around here it would cost around $700.00 to take a 18' glass boat to the dump, after you cut it up. People give 30 year old boats away where I am, and are happy to do so, 30 year old trailers included. I wish you luck.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
From experience being in charge of hundreds of thousands of batteries purchased per year in past lives

exide isnt what they used to be, Johnson controls couldnt make a battery if their life depended on it and nearly everyone will fail within 3 years. Johnson controls is the vampire of the battery world, buying successful battery companies, living on reputation while they suck the life out of them, cheapening them up until the market becomes wise and quits buying that brand, then discarding them. there is a reason Optima batteries are a joke compared to what they were in the 90's

the best batteries are Enersys brands, East Penn is also very good. Duracell is ok, Interstate batts actually made by interstate battery systems are ok. (the sears diehard Platinum is an enersys battery)

my suggestion is an Odyssey (made by Enersys). the military uses Hawker (enersys) for a reason

here is the up-to-date list on battery manufacturers, branding, and distribution (Not wikepedia)

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use walmart batteries, i usually get 4-5 years out of them with no problem. I actually use marine deep cycle 29-Maxx series for everything both starting, trolling motor and house. Opinions vary on that, but i refer back to my first sentence here.

Most batteries are made by the big 3 and are rebranded.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
From experience being in charge of hundreds of thousands of batteries purchased per year in past lives

exide isnt what they used to be, Johnson controls couldnt make a battery if their life depended on it and nearly everyone will fail within 3 years. Johnson controls is the vampire of the battery world, buying successful battery companies, living on reputation while they suck the life out of them, cheapening them up until the market becomes wise and quits buying that brand, then discarding them. there is a reason Optima batteries are a joke compared to what they were in the 90's

the best batteries are Enersys brands, East Penn is also very good. Duracell is ok, Interstate batts actually made by interstate battery systems are ok. (the sears diehard Platinum is an enersys battery)

my suggestion is an Odyssey (made by Enersys). the military uses Hawker (enersys) for a reason

here is the up-to-date list on battery manufacturers, branding, and distribution (Not wikepedia)

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/

Good info Scott, thank you. I was told that Johnson Controls made 70% of all batteries available in North America. Walmart sells batteries made by Johnson I was told, you may know for certain. I do know Interstate is a battery distributer only, they have never manufactured batteries.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there was a small line of Interstate batteries manufactured in Indiana, however looking, that is may now be Bulldog

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I get all my batteries both auto and marine from a wholesaler in the city, Hamilton Ont. Acme Batteries. I have for over 40 years now, about 40% to 50% off retail. most with 5 year warranties. All the batteries have no decals on them. I cringe when I have to buy anything retail, including clothes, shoes and food. My middle name should be "No Name." I just bought 10 new in the box stainless steel gas BBQ's at the liquidators Wed. for $139.00 each, sold them all but 1 for us for 225 cash. Walmart brand, 2 years old.

Johnny D.

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a MCM 165, serial # B578236 and can?t find a listing or parts for it any where? Can you all help? What kind of motor is it? Parts list? etc! I need valve cover gasket, bolts for valve cover and a set of plugs! Ty ahead of time
Jamie

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have a MCM 165, serial # B578236 and can?t find a listing or parts for it any where? Can you all help? What kind of motor is it? Parts list? etc! I need valve cover gasket, bolts for valve cover and a set of plugs! Ty ahead of time
Jamie

You will get more answers if you start a new thread for a new question rather than burying it in this thread Jamie. May I ask who makes MCM?

I just Googled MCM, they appear to be a Marine Service outfit out of Sault St. Marie Michigan.

http://www.mcmmarine.com/

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
No this is a merc cruiser motor made out of Stillwater Ok. It?s model # is MCM 165 and it?s a 224 cubic inch motor...