My first boat and bucket list project...

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
So long story short, I bought a 1987 Four Winns Sundowner 195...How much you ask? Well let me say this, after the guy called me back after two days of me thinking about it and told me where do you want it delivered because it has to go today or The Mrs. is gonna cut my you know what off, it was a steal! So here I am looking for info as I start a bucket list project...When it got here, I jumped in and started cleaning...its a project alright. The floor needs repair so I'm going to start taking everything out and look to see what needs to be repaired!

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
Im not allowed to post pics as of yet so I'll hang on to them til I clear my probation...lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need a few more posts to be able to upload pics

be aware, most 30 year old boats have rotten hulls. you found that the floor needs repair, which means it is a full gut-n-restore project. stringers, transom and floor.

expect to pay $3000 on restoring the hull, about $2000 on interior, and at least $1000 on the motor and drive, more if it is not running.

free boats are the most expensive.

so grinding fiberglass and being miserable thru a hull restoration is on your bucket list?

Beagleville

Seaman
you need a few more posts to be able to upload pics

be aware, most 30 year old boats have rotten hulls. you found that the floor needs repair, which means it is a full gut-n-restore project. stringers, transom and floor.

expect to pay $3000 on restoring the hull, about $2000 on interior, and at least $1000 on the motor and drive, more if it is not running.

so grinding fiberglass and being miserable thru a hull restoration is on your bucket list?

​Whew, go easy on the poor guy!! A LARGE PERCENTAGE, but not ALL of these older boats have these problems, but you may luck out. Good luck!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
look at the facts. the OP states his floor needs repair. the last thing to rot is the floor. its a 31 year old four winns (one step above a bayliner), however still only designed to last 15 years.

I am going easy on him, and I am telling him the truth.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have to agree with Scott on this one. Get down into the ski locker and look to see if the floor is still attached to the stringers. If it is not, stringers need to be replaced. Take an ice pick or screw driver and start poking. If they go through any part, Stringers need to be replaced. If it passes those 2 tests, get a 1/4 inch drill bit and drill some test holes. If anything but dry, brown dust comes out, they need to be replaced. If it is all good, plug holes up with 5200.

Next is the transom. Look for soft or discolored spots. Try tightening the bolts that hold the outdrive on. If they move, transom needs to be rebuilt. Go inside the boat and with the same 1/4" drill bit, drill about 1/2in into the transom near the drain hole and any through hull fittings. Same as above, should be dry, brown wood. Plug holes with 5200 if all is good.

If everything checks out ok, park your boat and go buy a lottery ticket.

If it needs a gut job, its expensive, but not the end of the world and expenses are paced out over the next year or 2 depending on how much time you have. Take a look through the restoration forum. Friscoboater has some fantastic videos to look at to see what you are in for. If the project doesn't seem like anything you are interested in and you have a running engine, hopefully you can recoup your investment by selling the engine and trailer and scrapping the hull.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I gotta agree as well. Life is way too short and free time is nearly non existent these days to spend on a project when you can get a decent, water ready, boat off season for a song.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer

Where did he say it was free? Your making a lot of assumptions about a boat you haven't even seen in a picture yet. What makes you think the interior needs replacing & the motor /drive a $1k of work?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Where did he say it was free? Your making a lot of assumptions about a boat you haven't even seen in a picture yet. What makes you think the interior needs replacing & the motor /drive a $1k of work?

Yes, assumptions are being made, but that is what experience leads to based on statements that are made.

First Clue: 1987. 30 year old boat that was built to last 15, maybe 20 years. Let's face it, Late 80s glass boats are not regarded for their impeccable craftsmanship.

Second Clue: Previous owner had to get rid of it ASAP. No one has to get rid of a working boat immediately. People have to get rid of projects that take up space, not working vessels. My assumption, based on previous experience, is that people know they have a dud, try to get as much as possible for it, and when other offers don't come on, they sell it to previously interested buyers.

Third clue: Jumped in and started cleaning. Indicates a dirty boat. Dirty boats are neglected boats. 30 year old dirty boats are problems.

Fourth clue: The floor needs to be repaired. Indicates rotting, worn carpet, bad or warped wood on the deck. Experience tells us that boats rot from the bottom up. If the floor is bad, there is a very high probability that whatever the floor attaches to is bad as well. If the floor is failing, water gets through to the foam. As soon as the foam is soaked, all bets are off.

Read through the restoration forum. It is full of people that started with a small floor repair that ballooned into an entire rebuild. We are not trying to discourage anything, but trying to educate what to look for here and what to expect, based on experience. The OP needs to get the big picture of what it is going to take to fix this boat BEFORE he begins, not during. It is very easy to get caught up in the adrenaline of buying a boat. Buyers are flying high and looking at the boat through rose colored glasses, especially when they get it for a "steal". It is easy to justify defects as small and worth it because of how cheap the boat was. We are trying to shed some light on the big picture here.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I can't disagree with any of your assumptions. If it was one of those boats left out in the elements collecting leaves and & water it's probably junk. But I'll wait till the OP posts pictures before I tell him to cut his losses and run the other way.

My '79 CVX18 is currently gutted so I know all about restorations on 30+ year old wood & fiberglass boats. The quote I got to put the transom, stringers, & floor back in it was $2500, which means $3K. That was all composite materials, and flotation foam put back in.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I can't say I disagree with what's been said. My 78 Glastron CVX-20 started out as having a small soft spot at the rear of the floor which turned into splitting off the top of the hull and doing the floor and transom. Fortunately for me this was all done by the previous owner, although I had to redo a small amount of it.

OP would be best off just doing a patch job and seeing if he can get it running and driving without investing into it. IMO this kind of boat is not a viable candidate for investing big bucks into and if he can patch it along and use it or patch it up during the winter and unload it in spring he might be able to make a couple bucks for his trouble.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
OP would be best off just doing a patch job and seeing if he can get it running and driving without investing into it. IMO this kind of boat is not a viable candidate for investing big bucks into and if he can patch it along and use it or patch it up during the winter and unload it in spring he might be able to make a couple bucks for his trouble.

bad advise.

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone! I took the old rope that was on the anchor tied it to the tree and will hang myself after dinner! WTH...I got boat, motor and trailer for 240 dollars. You assumed that the reason he got rid of the boat was because it was rotten. Not true! He lives in a very nice neighborhood and had it parked on his front lawn. I did have the opportunity to see the boat prior to buying it! I I knew exactly what I was doing! Running motor 165 and a rebuilt outdrive along with a easyloader trailer if the boat is junk I can easily recoup my money! Prior to buying I watched many videos from Frisco and looks to me that you can buy any boat with problems! I may get lucky. But if not I'm not to worried! Look how much I've learned!

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not sure what the type of neighborhood has to do with a quick sell of an old boat.

When you looked at this boat prior did you hear and see it run, what did the seller say about it? I second those that mentioned to take a deep dive in the boat and check for rot.... the chances are high. The trailer will recoup your cost paid, however its basically worthless with a junk boat on top.

jamieschillin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a good friend of mine stopping by to check the boat out on the weekend to let me know what I have...he builds race boats and works with
this stuff everyday...so that will take care of all the questions of whether or not the boat is worth a nickel or a dime. Thanks guys!

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Your allready ahead just for the trailer alone.Good luck.

Trailer????? Priced out a used working 1988 Alpha 1 drive lately. There's $750 right there. Then there's the transom assembly and a running fully dressed marine engine.

All for $240 bucks huh????? Something doesn't add up here.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
HOA (bad) may have forced a move it or pay daily fine on him.

Good Luck, you may have a winner, or a loser. Hopefully a winner.

I highly doubt it came down to that, i cant imagine short selling a boat that less if it was well worth more. There are other venues for sale if the HOA wants it out.