Is it OK to run without the check valve in the outboard fuel line?

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had a bit of engine trouble on the lake this past weekend. Sounded like the motor was starving of fuel, checked the 6 gallon tank, and it looked like there was maybe a gallon in it. Thought maybe the pick up line wasn't going all the way to the bottom, so I added another 2 gallons from the extra can I brought. Motor ran fine for about a min, then started dying again. Pulled the hose off the motor, used a screwdriver to press the ball in a few times, popped it back on, and got about another 2 mins of run time. Popped the hose off again, pressed the ball, and another 2 mins of run time. Then I pulled the hose, dug out the rubber plug/gasket, pulled the ball and spring, and pushed the gasket back in, and the motor ran fine for the 15 minutes it took me to get back to the dock.

Other than the hose now being open and able to leak fuel when disconnected from the motor, is there any other reason I shouldn't run it like this? When refueling the tanks, I pop the hose off at the tank anyways, and leave it connected to the motor.

superbenk

Commander
It?s a safety feature for if the hose ever rips or ruptured as well. I believe it?s a lawful requirement. Perhaps try replacing the anti-siphon valve & see if that helps. Check the screen at the end of the pickup in the tank as well as the screen at the fuel input on the carb.

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I just looked up replacements, and didn't realize how cheap this stuff was. I figured being a boat part, I'd be looking at a $100 fuel line connector or something, and I was wrong, lol. $12 even at West Marine..that's plenty cheap enough to not be worth wondering if my modified parts will be OK to run. I'll pick up a new connector one day this week, along with some fresh fuel line.