PORPOISING

onthehunt49

Cadet
2005 Tahoe Q6 5.0

Tahoe boats porpoise bad. installed smart tabs and helped some. I have 19 pitch 3 blade prop. Would a 4 blade prop help porpoising at all or just better holeshot(boat has great holeshot already)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
What size are the actuators on the SmartTabs and where do you have them set (which hole)?

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Does moving weight forward or having a full tank of gas cure it. Ive found little effect with a four blade but theres a lot of $100 aluminum props to try. If you could shift 100 pounds to the front is it a lot better if so could you move your batteries up front. My boat porpoises with the trolling motor on the back or with a 1/4 tank of fuel or less not horrible but I don't run above 45 well in those cituations. If it was worse I'd relocate my batteries to the front storage compartment

Tim in TN

Seaman
I have a 2006 Q6 with the 5.0 and Smart Tabs completely cured the porpoising. Where they are located and / or how they are set has to be your problem.

tpenfield

Staff member
What you haven't told us about is the trim of the outdrive. Typically, propoising is due to too much up trim. If you are still having an issue with lots of trim 'in' ( instead of 'out'), try moving some weight in the boat forward.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
would that new off a boat have been designed to porpoise? Probably an added weight issue (if not the trim) so find the weight that has been added in the rear. Completely empty the boat of anything but a life jacket and run it.

onthehunt49

Cadet
I have a 2006 Q6 with the 5.0 and Smart Tabs completely cured the porpoising. Where they are located and / or how they are set has to be your problem.
sent pic to smart tabs he said mounted correctly(installed by Bass Pro) I have tried 3rd and 4th setting.. They helped some.. but still can hardly use trim .
what prop do you use ?

onthehunt49

Cadet
What you haven't told us about is the trim of the outdrive. Typically, propoising is due to too much up trim. If you are still having an issue with lots of trim 'in' ( instead of 'out'), try moving some weight in the boat forward.

with very little trim at all....runs fine all the way down... but would like to trim a little for ride and fuel

onthehunt49

Cadet
would that new off a boat have been designed to porpoise? Probably an added weight issue (if not the trim) so find the weight that has been added in the rear. Completely empty the boat of anything but a life jacket and run it.

nothing added to boat besides fishfinder and smart tabs... last time out didnt even have ice chest under rear beanch seat loaded

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this is with very little trim when it starts if not mirror smooth.. starts at first setting to 1/4 on guage

to check the obvious, which for me i usually forget to do. Your guage may be off? When 'down' on guage can you hear the difference in the noise so you know it is in fact down?

Alumarine

Captain
When it's trimmed fully in is there something wrong with the ride that you are trying to improve?
What makes you think you need to trim it out more?

aspeck

Staff member
When it's trimmed fully in is there something wrong with the ride that you are trying to improve?
What makes you think you need to trim it out more?

What marc c said ... trimming out doesn't improve fuel economy or ride when it starts to porpoise. Go by feel, ride, and rpm's, not the gauge. If trimmed in works fine, trim it in and go.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Run a straight edge alone the keel and look for hook. Fix the bottom first. Tabs are a bandaid. If all is good then remember porposing is the motor not being able to carry the bow. You want to carry the bow. Not to high mind you or see the posts above. Move weight back and try it again before you give up and screew a plastic China tab thru your gel oat.

Tim in TN

Seaman
{sent pic to smart tabs he said mounted correctly(installed by Bass Pro) I have tried 3rd and 4th setting.. They helped some.. but still can hardly use trim .
what prop do you use ?}

I've got a 3 blade, 21 pitch Vengence stainless steel prop on my 2006 Q6. Can't see how the prop would have anything to do with porpoising though.
Apply more downward pressure on the Smart Tabs. The more lift you get at the stern, the less porpoising you'll get - similar to adding weight to the front.
Tim

onthehunt49

Cadet
{sent pic to smart tabs he said mounted correctly(installed by Bass Pro) I have tried 3rd and 4th setting.. They helped some.. but still can hardly use trim .
what prop do you use ?**

I've got a 3 blade, 21 pitch Vengence stainless steel prop on my 2006 Q6. Can't see how the prop would have anything to do with porpoising though.
Apply more downward pressure on the Smart Tabs. The more lift you get at the stern, the less porpoising you'll get - similar to adding weight to the front.
Tim

I was just curious if you had alot different prop for difference. I have a Solas 3 blade 19 pitch aluminum prop.. so similiar except stainless vs aluminum

what hole you have yours mounted on? I have tried hole 3 and 4. I guess i will try all way the out on hole 5

Last edited: