Wood for boat Transom

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
I need to do a much needed repair to the wood transom on my Springbok 14' aluminum boat. Just the wood on the inside of the boat. I know they say not to use the green pressure treated wood because it is supposed to accelerate rusting of the boat.

I am wondering if Cedar would be OK or perhaps the new brown pressure treated wood might be fine. That marine grade stuff is a little too expensive for my 42 year old boat. You would think they are gold plating it or something from the price of the stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on Cedar or brown PT wood.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Well sealed exterior plywood, ACX or Douglas Fir, will suffice and not be a budget buster.

Never seen brown PT, Cedar isnt particularly strong.

Solid WHITE Oak (NOT Red) could also be used, and also be well sealed.

I prefer epoxy, but some use straight spar varnish/urethane

Others use a mineral spirits/boiled linseed oil/spar mix to seal, then follow up w a couple coats of straight spar

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well sealed exterior plywood, ACX or Douglas Fir, will suffice and not be a budget buster.

Never seen brown PT, Cedar isnt particularly strong.

Solid WHITE Oak (NOT Red) could also be used, and also be well sealed.

I prefer epoxy, but some use straight spar varnish/urethane

Others use a mineral spirits/boiled linseed oil/spar mix to seal, then follow up w a couple coats of straight spar

+1........The repair will probably outlast you if you keep the boat out of the elements when not in use.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cedar is not strong enough. brown PT is simply pre-dyed brown during the PT process. I would not use it.

JB has you on the right direction.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I forgot 1

MDO

Is also a good choice, more then ACX, cheaper then marine.