1984 Bayliner 2550st

I have the chance to pick up a 1984 Bayliner 2550 with trailer for free. The boat is dirty as hell from sitting. Ad clearly says no engine but it has the original Penta outdrive. I guess my questions are what kind of motor can I use as a replacement and how hard are parts to come across for it.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Most likely came with a small block chevy,,..id opt for a 5.7 (350) check motor mounts thatll tell ya for sure

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Volvo penta outdrives are not as comminly found as mercruiser, but a good drive all in all.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
The cost of the motor and everything else it will need will be more than the boat is worth! I would look for something else..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It won't be a cheap way to get on the water, expect to spend $6,000 or so and hundreds of hours of work before it gets wet.

southkogs

Staff member
If the trailer is in decent shape, you're not risking much in grabbing it. If the boat turns out to be complete junk, then you can sell the trailer and come out okay.

With it sitting engineless for a while, and being so dirty, the best guess is she's a loss. Before you worry about engines, I would see what kind of shape the "bones" of the boat are in. Also - what is the state of the accessories on board. Once you assess that, then what ondarvr says will make more sense and you can see what you're up against before you go get an engine.

I will know more this weekend. The floor felt pretty solid when I jumped down on it hard. I didn?t check the transom (stupid me), but will this weekend. The trailer itself is in great shape. Any of the wood work that would need to be replaced, I have a master carpenter on stand by. I?m more concerned about the cushions and what not in the berth area along with mold mildew. I had originally told the owner not interested, it?s a lot of work. But after finding a lot of info on specs reviews and that it is pre Brunswick makes it a whole lot better in my eyes.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Free boats are always an enticing proposition,..just know that the amount of work and money that you think it will take,. will likely double...

Last edited:
Oh that I know. And your right about the trailer, it?s in real good shape, and the boat also comes with 8 boat stands, four that are with the boat and I saw another four underneath. So like u said worst case boat is crap but still some profit to be made with trailer.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Sounds like you are doing a free service by hauling it away for him under the guise of 'free boat'.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The cost of the motor and everything else it will need will be more than the boat is worth! I would look for something else..

Yup. Best thing OP can do is part/sell the drive, scrap the hull and sell the trailer and maybe make a few bucks for your hassle. I can almost guarantee you it won't be worth putting this boat back together.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have the chance to pick up a 1984 Bayliner 2550 with trailer for free. The boat is dirty as hell from sitting. Ad clearly says no engine but it has the original Penta outdrive. I guess my questions are what kind of motor can I use as a replacement and how hard are parts to come across for it.

Its free and doesnt have a motor because the hull is rotten and someone needed the motor/drive for their project.

its free, because it will cost the guy money to dispose of it.

expect to put $3000 into the hull alone
$2000 into the interior
and $3000 into the motor and drive

when you are all said and done, you still have a 1984 bayliner worth $1000 that you just put $8000 into

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
but.... I had an 86 model of that boat and sure was nice. If same beam, technically too wide in most states to trailer without permits but I never had issues with it. Bought in IA, hauled to MO then Moved to TN. Had it for about 5 years.

If you do it, and no motor and especially if you have to do the transom then find something with a mercruiser attached to it. Sell the volvo drive online.

I was thinking about a mercruiser too. I?m going to check the transom tomorrow or Friday. I?m not looking for it to be a rush done job. I?m not sure of the permits here in Connecticut, but it?s only being moved 10 miles or less to where it will be stored and worked on.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
By selling the Volvo outdrive (in good shape they bring pretty good $$$),...you will save a bit in the long run going with a mercruiser setup,...parts are much easier to find and easier for the DIY'er to work on.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Is yours a Ciera or a Sunbridge,...the one shown here is a Sunbridge.
6065877_20170707100523483_1_LARGE.jpg

Last edited:
The one I?m looking at is an 86 ciera 2550st. From looking the st makes it a designers edition, not sure if there was a regular 2550 or not.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
As much as i dislike the forum due to it's cliques, Bayliner Owners Club is a great resource for Bayliner specific info and they have a specialty parts forum if you are missing something very specific to tthe brand.

Otherwise for rebuild and new motor, stay here.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
228 5.0.jpg My neighbor got one that was rough but when I helped him go get it was still solid underneath ,still was runnable and he only had to put in lower unit water pump impeller . It had the same motor set up other than Volvo outdrive as my 79 fIberform a GM 5.0 liter 228 Hp .

Last edited: