Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

seat post removal??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat post removal??

How does the seat post in attached picture come off?

grab it and pull up. its a simple 3/4" peg in a plastic lined hole
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
      grab it and pull up. its a simple 3/4" peg in a plastic lined hole
      it wont budge at all.

Comment

Have you tried turning it with channel locks or a pipe wrench?
        Maybe spray it with something?
        1980 Sylvan Aluminum 18' Sportster I/O - Mercruiser 140, Honda 7.5 Kicker, Bennett M120 Tabs
        1974 Glastron V-179, Mercruiser 140
        1984 16.5ft. Alumarine Sealark side console with 82 Merc 50
        Manitoba, Canada

Comment

my guess its been in there for a while and is now corroded in place.
          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

yes I have turned it with a pipe wrench and It barely turns and doesn't want to pull up. if you look at the picture real close you can see the teeth marks from the wrench, I will try to soak it with some kind of penetrating oil and see if that helps the process

Comment

Boil some water in a large pot put it in long enough that it works free you may have to run them out to the garage and work them in a vice a little but it works. I fought three of mine during a complete interior rebuild tried lots of things boiling water and a little effort all three came apart and are fully functional

Comment

It may be a screw-in post. If it turns but doesn't come out, continue turning. Lots of those were used in the day and probably still are.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertip View Post
                  It may be a screw-in post. If it turns but doesn't come out, continue turning. Lots of those were used in the day and probably still are.
                  Yes, and if it's a screw in post then make sure you're turning it the right way!
                  1980 Sylvan Aluminum 18' Sportster I/O - Mercruiser 140, Honda 7.5 Kicker, Bennett M120 Tabs
                  1974 Glastron V-179, Mercruiser 140
                  1984 16.5ft. Alumarine Sealark side console with 82 Merc 50
                  Manitoba, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by marc c View Post

Yes, and if it's a screw in post then make sure you're turning it the right way!
                    does it not unscrew counter clock wise?

Comment

I turned it with the wrench for a solid 15 minutes. if it even had fine threads I feel it should have came out...

Comment

I have the same thing on the rear deck of my Tracker V16. That post has been stuck for at least 6 or 7 years now. I've tried every wrench, hammer, and penetrating fluid imaginable and it doesn't even budge. I couldn't have welded it that solid if I tried

If yours is turning you should be able to work it free I would think. Is there any access to the bottom of the post mount through the hatches?

Comment

Originally posted by BTL View Post
                          I have the same thing on the rear deck of my Tracker V16. That post has been stuck for at least 6 or 7 years now. I've tried every wrench, hammer, and penetrating fluid imaginable and it doesn't even budge. I couldn't have welded it that solid if I tried

If yours is turning you should be able to work it free I would think. Is there any access to the bottom of the post mount through the hatches?
                          it will spin but that is about it, and I have to tug pretty hard with a pipe wrench to get it to do that. I will check to see if there is something in the livewell

Comment

The threaded stub in the bottom of the post may be spinning inside the post. Is there no name or manufacturer info on the post?

Comment

The threaded stub in the bottom of the post may be spinning inside the post. Is there no name or manufacturer info on the post?
                              nothing except the sticker in the picture in the first post. So how would I go about getting it out if its spinning.

Comment

Working...
                              X