1954 alumacraft F series

Hello I recently uncovered an old 1954 alumacraft F series that was buried in a gulley on my property. I am currently trying to get it serviceable again.
My question to you guys, there are two deck drains, one on each side of the transom brace. The drains are in terrible condition and one looks to be replaced before. Can anyone tell my the name of the drain unit so I can order one? I've searched the web without success. Inside the boat is a spring tentioned plug and under the boat is a clamshell style vent. I cannot find the complete unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pat

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Welcome Aboard! My first instinct would be to replace the entire transom on the boat and choose whichever drains you want to put in.

This is an aluminum boat with aluminum transom. Only wood is for the outboard support which I have already replaced. The drain through the bottom of the boat not lower of the transom. If I had permission to load attachments then I could show you a picture of what I am looking for exactly.

My profile picture is the part that I'm looking for. What is it called so I can shop online for it? I have searched for scuppers, drain plug kit, garboard all with no luck.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Take the boat to a welding shop that MIG welds Aluminum. Have him weld plates over the holes. Go online and find a plug(s) to suit you and install them. If you find an aluminum barrel, take it with you and let him weld it in place after the repair or if suitable, just clean up where the old one(s) were and weld in the new. I wouldn't trust glues or sealants for that job due to the frequency you will be applying pressure to the joint(s) when pulling the plugs for storage, or on water draining or whatever.

On the flip side, super, super, boat the F. Had a couple and friends did too.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks similar to what I've seen on sailboats called a self bailer.

image.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Never saw one on an F so I am of no help to you. But it does look like a self baler but you could still take it out, have a plate welded over the hole and weld in a conventional drain.