Blower motor won't turn on

onthehunt49

Cadet
2005 tahoe q6 5.0 blower motor wont turn on. Had off few months ago, but kept messing with wires at toggle switch and started working again. Having same issue. Was running and just quit. Messed with wires, but can't get to come on.

Replaced toggle switch still won't work. Checked with tester light. Have connection at toggle switch. Tested at motor where connectors is. Lights up light on both sides of connectors at blower motor.

So thought blower motor was bad. Ran hot lead from battery to blower and came on like a champ.

I am totally confused and lost as to where issue is.

tpenfield

Staff member
2005 tahoe q6 5.0 blower motor wont turn on.

Tested at motor where connectors is. Lights up light on both sides of connectors at blower motor.

I assume you are testing for +12 volts (right?) Is the connector you are referencing a simple 2 wire connector? Why both both leads have +12 volts? :noidea:

I would think you would have +12v and Ground at that connector. . . So, is that the problem?

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
If Ive read this right blower is plugged in and you have bat voltage at both wires. If so your ground is missing what color are the wires or can you unplug the wires to find which wire should be grounded and try grounding it.

onthehunt49

Cadet
If Ive read this right blower is plugged in and you have bat voltage at both wires. If so your ground is missing what color are the wires or can you unplug the wires to find which wire should be grounded and try grounding it.

there is black and yellow wire coming off blower. if i run hot lead from battery post + to yellow wire, blower comes on
but wont come on from switch.. also the red light on blower dash switch not coming on..
yellow wire runs in and out of toggle switch... where wire comes out of toggle switch, wire comes off for indicator light and ground from indicator light goes to ground on back of tach. I have been unable to trace wires that come off blower back by motor. after connectors goes into a maze of wires:(

JoLin

Vice Admiral
A blower should be on a fused circuit. I think you have a blown fuse or tripped breaker. Also sounds like you don't own a digital volt meter. I'd buy one. In the meantime you can do a test that'll tell you definitively where the problem is...

Disconnect the wire at the input terminal of the switch. Run a new jumper from the battery (+) to the toggle switch (input terminal) and turn the switch on. If the blower comes on you have a break between the battery and the switch (that's where the fuse/breaker should be).

If it doesn't come on, leave the 1st jumper in place and disconnect the wire from the output terminal of the switch. Run a 2nd jumper from the switch (output terminal) to the blower and turn the switch on. If it still doesn't come on, the switch is bad.

If it does come on, that's the section (switch to blower) where your problem is. It's also possible that by 'messing with the wiring' you inadvertently connected the switch to something other than the blower.

My .02

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I also feel you are using the test light incorrectly. If you are simply connecting the probe to one wire and the ground wire to the other you will activate the light regardless how it is connected. You've already proven ground is ok because you jumped from the yellow to the battery and the blower runs. Next, the fact that the indicator light in the switch doesn't work says there is no power INTO the switch OR that the switch itself is bad, OR that the indicator is miswired or burned out. Each circuit on your boat should have a fuse or circuit breaker in the circuit "before" the switch that controls that circuit. A VOM (volt-ohm-milliammeter) or more commonly called a multi-tester is available at any home improvement store for less than $15.00. Learn how to use it and electrical troubleshooting becomes much easier.

onthehunt49

Cadet
No Title

A blower should be on a fused circuit. I think you have a blown fuse or tripped breaker. Also sounds like you don't own a digital volt meter. I'd buy one. In the meantime you can do a test that'll tell you definitively where the problem is...

Disconnect the wire at the input terminal of the switch. Run a new jumper from the battery (+) to the toggle switch (input terminal) and turn the switch on. If the blower comes on you have a break between the battery and the switch (that's where the fuse/breaker should be).

I ran jumper like you said and blower came on :) I cant find any breakers. all fuses in fuseblock are good.. is there breaker/fuse in differnet area besides under dask by toggle switches ?

Is there a way to fix this without ripping wiring harness apart ?
I I picked up analog multi tester at Home Depot. out of cheaper digital.ones. I will pick one up when i learn what to do with it :):):)

Attachments

• photo277092.jpg
    photo277092.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277093.jpg
    photo277093.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277100.jpg
    photo277100.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I assume you bought this boat used, and there's no telling what a P.O. (previous owner) did. There could be a disconnected plug or even a cut in the the hot wire itself, or there could be an inline fuse anywhere along that wire. Best to trace the wire and find out where the problem is. But if you must, you could run a new wire from the batt to the fuse box (if there's an open slot for another fuse) to the switch. Or, run the wire directly from the batt to the switch and put an inline fuse in between.

Buy a digital volt-ohm meter and learn how to use it. Boat = electrical issues.

My .02

onthehunt49

Cadet
TY for your help and patience. Yes I just bought the boat about 4 months ago. I found few quirky things from previous owner. lol but engine runs awesome.

I finally cut some of wire ties that help rats nest of wires together :( There was a fuse in rats nest you would never find if didnt cut wires ties loose DUMBBB
But fuse was good but hard to get back together. Looks like went to All Power toggle switch.

There were two wire harness plugs. the smaller one was partially unplugged.. when all tied up. you couldnt see clip on plug was partially unclipped. Once I push togeter real tight. blower came on like a champ.. :) Pulled apart and put together few times to be sure:) All seems good.:):)

tried to put wire tie on to keep clip together for sure and retied wires up under dash.. seems little tighter:):):)

Thanks again

P.S. on another topic. Tahoe boats porpoise bad. installed smart tabs and helped some. I have 19 pitch 3 blade prop. Would a 4 blade prop help porpoising at all or just better holeshot(boat has great holeshot already)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Glad you got the blower thing solved! If you can return the analog meter, do it and buy a digital.

Can't help you with your porpoising. Start a new topic specifically for that and you'll get a ton of advice.

My .02