1975 Starcraft

BornFromJets

Cadet
Hi, new to the forum and new to boating...just picked up an old Starcraft. It's an 18' I/O 165 Mercruiser. I dont havr a lot of info o the boat. It does run, and appears that the motor or at least the head gasket has been done. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, performance cars are sorta my thing.
Anyway I would appreciate some help as to where I could dig up a manual or other info....i would like to clean up some wiring and double check everything before she goes in the water. It won't be until next season though!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
"welcome: aboard,

What model of SC do you have there? I don't know if there were ever any aluminum SC boats that were 18'rs with a 165 so is it glass? If so that opens up a whole new window of opportunity to work on your "new" boat.

BornFromJets

Cadet
Thanks for the info!
I believe it's the American. Yes it's glass. Closed bow. 250cid GM inline 6. I haven't been able to find any pics of one exactly like it. They are all either bowriders or outboards.

Watermann

This look familiar? After another post you're allowed to attach pics to your thread, let's see what you have there. :happy:

Starcraft74Page5.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Welcome to the StarCraft owners club. I wish you well, you have a great boat there. It's a StarCraft.

BornFromJets

Cadet
No Title

Let's see if this works...

It's not in bad shape...just needs some elbow grease I think.

Attachments

• photo277519.jpg
    photo277519.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo277520.jpg
    photo277520.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Those american SC's have some nice lines. The SC section of the forum is pretty much 100% aluminum models so if you have to do any glass work the guys hanging out there won't be of much help to you. The general resto forum has a huge amount of glass knowledge so if you're going to be tearing into her that would be the place to have your thread moved to.

fetch

BornFromJets

Cadet
Great! Thanks for the heads up.
I don't know that it needs much glass work per say...however, I wouldn't mind shooting some new paint on it. Just because I'm not a huge fan of its 70s brownish tones...lol.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If the innards are solid, you'll love that boat. I've got 15 and 18-foot American outboards and they both ride great. Keep in mind, they did NOT build them to last 40 years and the stringers may be compromised. All three Americans I've owned have had rotted stringers and all three got new structure added, and two of three needed transoms. Check the stringers and transom thoroughly. Also, if it has a soft spot in the floor, you can pretty much guarantee that what's under it is rotted - they rot from the bottom up. Looks like yours has had some work done at some point, so make sure the floor isn't just plywood patched over a soft floor and was actually installed correctly under that brown carpet. Not trying to scare you off - just do your due diligence. Like I said, if it's solid, you'll love that boat.

BornFromJets

Cadet
Awesome, thanks! Yes the floor does feel solid...i was planning on tearing out the gross carpet over the winter, at which point I was gonna check what's underneath. I'm hoping it's been looked after and any repairs were done right. It appears the motor has been apart to some degree, not sure if it was just a head gasket or something...which I'm hoping gives a clue as to a previous owner looking after the boat. The price was right...practically free. Hoping I lucked out!

BornFromJets

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. The floor does feel solid...but I'm not sure what shape it's on under that. I plan on pulling the gross carpet out over the winter. I'm hopeful that all will be ok.

BornFromJets

Cadet
Well...I fear the motor might be stuckšŸ˜§
I finally got it up on the trailer today...I tried jumping the starter and it just clicks and hums. Maybe I'm missing something, but i doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's not in gear or anything. I may pull the starter out and see if it will budge by trying to move the flywheel with a pry bar. There is no crank bolt to get at that I can see behind the front motor mount. Frustrating!