Registering trailer as homemade

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I found a really nice boat for a great price and the guy told me he doesn't have paperwork for the trailer. Ive registered a boat trailer as homemade before for my first boat i had and i brought it to a dump and got it weighed and they gave me a ticket to bring to dmv. I totally forgot though if thats all i have to do when i go to dmv? Input would be greatly appreciated. I live in new york as well

ahicks

Captain
Registering a home built nearly always involves an inspection by the local police. They come out to see if they can find a VIN/serial number of some sort. If they do, they'll run it to make sure it doesn't come back stolen. If they don't find a number, they'll assign one, or you'll agree on one, that will then need to be stamped into the frame. I've had to go through a couple of these inspections, and found the police to be really easy to get along with here. It's obvious you're trying to work with the system, and they get that.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
In NY you do not need the police to inspect the trailer, if the trailer weighs less than 1000 pounds. If it's more than 1000 pounds, I think DMV's "field officers" inspect it and stamp it with a VIN. If your under 1000 pounds, you need a weigh slip form local dump or weigh station and the forms at DMV to register a homemade trailer. Trailers under 1000 pounds are not titled, so you only get a transferable registration. They sometimes want to see receipts for materials, but I have often said I don't have them because it was built many years ago and I am just getting around to using it. The other option is to go buy some iron, so you have receipts, then return the materials after the DMV trip. I've done this twice and both times I got away without having any material receipts.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I registered mine as home built in Minnesota about 10 years ago and no inspection was required, just a bill of sale.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In NY you do not need the police to inspect the trailer, if the trailer weighs less than 1000 pounds. If it's more than 1000 pounds, I think DMV's "field officers" inspect it and stamp it with a VIN. If your under 1000 pounds, you need a weigh slip form local dump or weigh station and the forms at DMV to register a homemade trailer. Trailers under 1000 pounds are not titled, so you only get a transferable registration. They sometimes want to see receipts for materials, but I have often said I don't have them because it was built many years ago and I am just getting around to using it. The other option is to go buy some iron, so you have receipts, then return the materials after the DMV trip. I've done this twice and both times I got away without having any material receipts.

Gotcha yeah I remember this now. So i need the weight slip along with the bill of sale of course and just say im trying to register the trailer as homemade?

tpenfield

Staff member
Bill of Sale would indicate that you bought it (right?)

Wouldn't be homemade if you bought it . . .

​How about some materials receipts . . . you know . . . that you used to make it :D

ahicks

Captain
The bill of sale, or a stack of receipts, are used to establish value - so they know what they can get away with when charging the taxes.

You could tell them you bought the materials from dealers at swap meets/flea markets, and paid taxes on them then. That leaves you owing no taxes.... but requires you to say that with a straight/poker face!

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This guy is a true jokester up here ^ lol.. honestly this is such a headache i dont know if i want to go through it again. How would i go about filing for a replacement title/registration?

Rockland50

Recruit
Registering a home built nearly always involves an inspection by the local police. They come out to see if they can find a VIN/serial number of some sort. If they do, they'll run it to make sure it doesn't come back stolen. If they don't find a number, they'll assign one, or you'll agree on one, that will then need to be stamped into the frame. I've had to go through a couple of these inspections, and found the police to be really easy to get along with here. It's obvious you're trying to work with the system, and they get that.

This is probably the best way...

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think you'd pay any taxes on the trailer. If under the 1000 pound mark, they don't issue you a title, only a transferable registration. I think you only pay taxes if you are transferring a title or obtaining a title. I'd go there with the weight slip, tell them you built it 5-6 years ago, don't have material slips anymore and just want to register it as a homemade trailer. If it's under 1000 pounds and they are only issuing a registration, you should be fine. If it were over 1000 pounds and you needed a title, that's where the receipts and taxes come into play.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think you'd pay any taxes on the trailer. If under the 1000 pound mark, they don't issue you a title, only a transferable registration. I think you only pay taxes if you are transferring a title or obtaining a title. I'd go there with the weight slip, tell them you built it 5-6 years ago, don't have material slips anymore and just want to register it as a homemade trailer. If it's under 1000 pounds and they are only issuing a registration, you should be fine. If it were over 1000 pounds and you needed a title, that's where the receipts and taxes come into play.

Thats what ill most likely do at this point. Is there any way to just register it for the "first time"? Or no being that it obviously wasnt made in 2017

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Sure. If you say you made it, a few years ago, but never used it or registered it, then this would be the first registration. When I did mine, they never even looked at or saw the trailer, just the weigh slip.