Glastron SSV-176... would a soft spot keep you from buying? NOW WITH PICTURES!!

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here is the boat itself...

Boat wiring harness isn't all that complicated... now the engine harness and dash harness both look a little worse. I'll look up under everything in the morning. I'm not desperate to buy; OTOH, I don't want to miss a deal.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Have you seen this one in person yet? If not, don't waste your time with it unless you can get it for around $500. Here is why:

1) Previously mentioned soft spot, this one has been discussed ad nauseum already.

2) Non working motor. Could be a wiring harness, could be something else. You don't know how it runs, compression numbers, etc. Assume the motor is going to need significant money to get going, possibly replacement. Could be $100, could be $1000+ to get a working motor on there. You just don't know.

3) Filters. Not the engine kind, the photography kind. I am skeptical of CL posts, after wasting a lot of my time and learning through experience. The best people to deal with are the ones that are honest about their boat. The fact this guy is using photo filters to glam up his boat shows that he is already not being straight forward.

If you are willing to take a risk for $500, go for it. If nothing else, the trailer and parts will get you that money back. There are a lot of Glastron owners around from that era that would be interested in original parts off the boat. If you are looking for something ready to go now without unknowns, increase your budget and keep shopping.

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you seen this one in person yet? If not, don't waste your time with it unless you can get it for around $500. Here is why:

1) Previously mentioned soft spot, this one has been discussed ad nauseum already.

2) Non working motor. Could be a wiring harness, could be something else. You don't know how it runs, compression numbers, etc. Assume the motor is going to need significant money to get going, possibly replacement. Could be $100, could be $1000+ to get a working motor on there. You just don't know.

3) Filters. Not the engine kind, the photography kind. I am skeptical of CL posts, after wasting a lot of my time and learning through experience. The best people to deal with are the ones that are honest about their boat. The fact this guy is using photo filters to glam up his boat shows that he is already not being straight forward.

If you are willing to take a risk for $500, go for it. If nothing else, the trailer and parts will get you that money back. There are a lot of Glastron owners around from that era that would be interested in original parts off the boat. If you are looking for something ready to go now without unknowns, increase your budget and keep shopping.

Going to look at it tomorrow morning... look at my other post about a Charger boat... I've seen it run and looked at it in person. It's dang near perfect. No patches, few scratches, no cracks, nothing missing except the E in Charger on the back right. Yes, the gelcoat is faded. It's just a little bigger and heavier than I want. OTOH, when the wife and I move to Gulf Shores, AL in a few years (I grew up down there) it would be a boat that would be perfect for light offshore/inshore fishing/trolling.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Offer him $500 and leave it at that. The soft spot is already indicating a total rebuild of deck, stringers and transom. Now knowing its a '70s era Mercury with "wiring issue's". Tells me that the wiring harness are just like everyone of those years, brittle, corroded and falling apart. It will take some work but at $500 it shouldnt be bad. There is companies that make after market harness to correct that issue. They arent too pricey.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Metalflake FTW! Wouldn't think finding a good used wiring harness for a tower of power would tough at all. But agree big risk to buy something that old without a water test.

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I decided to go another direction... pretty boat, but I just didn't trust buying it.

Thanks for all of the advice...

roffey

Commander
I think your are a smart boater. This boat could have been an exercise in frustration when you think of all the little stuff that might have to be fixed to get it water ready.