Electric Crown Head issue

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Foul odors coming into the cabin. We've checked and cleaned the vent (as best we can while at the dock). Is there supposed to be a flapper at the bottom of the bowl that seals off the black water tank from the toilet?

mr 88

Commander
At some point there should be some sort of a one way check valve. I assume you have put the chemicals for holding tanks into your system. As noted above ,over time the hoses will leech some odor out. I put PVC pipe in where ever possible as that material is leech proof [ and a lot cheaper than the expensive dedicated holding tank hose ].just check 99% of the homes that use it. I see from your signature that the boat is a 89 ,so its probably due. I used a quart of clear Rust-Oleum Stop Rust leak seal flexible rubber coating sealant as well on the holding tank, giving it as many coats as the quart would allow. Runs about 20.00 on some of the better known sites if they don't sell it here. Odor is now gone.

Last edited:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the advice. I know about the hose issue. This is a new issue. Just started a couple of weeks ago. Odor is definitely coming from the holding tank via the head. It seems there would be a check valve in the head to seal off the pipe that leads to the holding tank.

mr 88

Commander
I googled your Electric Crown head and came up with Crown/ Raritan Crown DD manual pdf scrolling through that I came across the schematic and came up with two possible parts that are basically one way flapper valves that will lose there rigidty / ability to stop back flow and associated smell.. For the deep drain the number is 1224 and called a Joker Valve [ guess the joke is on whoever gets a wiff ] Then for the standard unit I came up CH 117 W called a Flapper valve. You may want to google all of the above and do the part numbers separately with maybe Raritan as a pre fix to the numbers. Having gone through it for a year after putting new old boat in the water and then" noticing " it for a season I feel your pain.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Ordered a new Joker valve. We'll see if that has any effect.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Turns out the head is actually a Jabsco. I was looking at the joker valve and the flange where it is installed and immediately knew I had the wrong part. Sunday I figured I'd take the valve out and head for West Marine to get a replacement.

The head is so old, when I tried to remove the hose connection the flange broke off :(. I can get a replacement pump housing/base but at this point I'm just going to replace the entire head.

On a bright note...with the line running from the head to the holding tank blocked off the smell is gone, so I'm fairly certain I'm on the right track.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Look at a Raritan head before you buy another Jabsco. I have the original Crown electric in my boat and did a full maintenance on it last year. New joker valve, impeller, macerator, gaskets, seals. Cost me $70.00. Disassembly/reassembly was easy and the unit (at least my old one) is built like a brick you know what. The entire body of the thing is cast bronze. I could rebuild it every 5 years for a century and it'd still be good. Powerful flushing action, too.

I've owned 2 boats with Jabscos. The only thing good about them is that they're cheap to buy.

My .02

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I get the cost vs value thing you're talking about. I'm just mechanically inclined enough to screw this up, so re-installing the same thing I ripped out is sounding better to me.

The Jabsco unit that was there had been in place for many years. How do I know this? The hold down bolts weren't stainless. They were so corroded I had to use a Dremel to cut the heads off. I'm finding Jabsco heads online for ~$350.00.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I get the cost vs value thing you're talking about. I'm just mechanically inclined enough to screw this up, so re-installing the same thing I ripped out is sounding better to me.

I wouldn't argue that point with you, Scott :joyous: